PDA

View Full Version : Problem that needs to be solved quick

Problem that needs to be solved quick

KustomRooR
09-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

I'm kind of in a dilemma, Let me start off by saying 6 days ago i purchased a 4 foot corn snake to accompany my other 4 ft corn snake and baby CBR.(NOT IN SAME TANK) I purchased him from a reputable pet store here in PA. They told me he feeds every Thursday on mice, they provided me with a feed record dating back to June of this year. So i tried feeding on its normal feed day and... no luck. A LOT of interest just no luck. First i tried a freshly killed mouse, did not work, then I tried a live mouse.. again no luck. SO i left the one dead mouse in his cage thinking maybe he was shy.. was still there in the morning.

Now the only reason I ask about this is because they have a 7 day warranty if they do not feed or something is wrong with them.(Death, Mites ect.) Now i really like this guy but im worried he wont adjust to his new environment.

I guess what im asking is, do you think i should play it on the safe side and return him to the store just in case he is indeed sick and not just nervous? Im stuck because I like him he is friendly and very "Tame". But at the same time, I do not want to see him starve to death, or as selfish as it sounds "waste money".

Please any input is welcome. I have till tomorrow to decide.

Thanks!

Josh

P.S. Sorry for the grammar or bad spelling. This was typed on phone.

KustomRooR
09-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Wish I could edit the title to..

"Need opinion/suggestions fast"

Nanci
09-17-2010, 12:38 PM
He's four years old- he knows how to eat. He probably just needs to settle in. Did his feeding records indicate if he had been fed FT before? I'd talk to the shop- tell them you really like him, but he refused to feed, and you don't want to return him, so could they extend the "warranty" for another couple weeks? Then I'd just wait seven to ten days, not bother him, let him relax, and try again with a HOT FT mouse. He can go four months or longer without eating and be _fine_ (as long as he doesn't have a disease porcess causing him to not eat, which I am not suggesting he does- I'm just saying, a normal hunger strike in a healthy snake can go that long and the snake barely lose weight at all).

KustomRooR
09-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I hear what you're saying. Sorry if I was a little dramatic, lol. I've kept a few snakes in my days, and with all the problems I've never dealt with a non-eater fortunately until now. I'm going tomorrow to get pinkys for my CRB so i figure ill talk to them then (im not a phone person). Hopefully they say yes they will extend the guarantee If not... then... IDK i guess that's a choice I have to make, eh?

He is in a busy room, i assume throwing a towel over his cage would not hurt?

Thanks again

Josh

Jim Godfrey
09-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Be careful with heated prey items. If it feels warm to your touch it is most likely 100 degrees or more. A meal this hot could result in an expelled meal. The snake could be going into a shed cycle, or, like Nanci said, it could just need to become more comfortable in its new environment. Check for the obvious, mites, nostrils crusted, or a swollen appearance anywhere on its mouth. The latter two could indicate an upper respiratory infection. That's about all you can rule out in the seven day period they are offering a guarantee. Also see if you notice if it has an "A" frame shape which would indicate a health problem including an extended period without food.

Nanci
09-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Let me clarify "hot." I would thaw an adult mouse in barely running warm water until it is pliable. Alternately, you could thaw it in cooler standing water, but it takes longer. Then, I turn the water up to as hot as it will go and run the mouse under it for a few seconds, lay on a paper towel and rub its fur dry. Mouse body temperature is about 102F. Starting with a mouse that is above room temp (obviously not hot enough to burn the snake) gives you a big advantage.

I feed nearly all my snakes in a separate container. Think a just larger than shoe box-sized Sterilite. The snake can't go away and ignore the mouse. This includes adult snakes that come to me on breeding loan, that AFAIK have been fed in their vivs their entire lives. Most of the time, the new snake will begin to eat immediately or within minutes. If the snake appears to be more interested in escaping the feeding bin, I throw a T-shirt over the bin and set a timer and check him in an hour. I haven't run into a snake yet that won't just cooperate and eat, usually eagerly.

KustomRooR
09-17-2010, 01:36 PM
I actually use a sterillite sliding container as well, a little larger than the one ur talking about though. He was not that interested in the freshly killed mouse, but when the live one was placed he followed it with his head and inched closer to it when it would turn its back, he struck once but missed. I left it in there for about 15 minutes supervised to make sure the mouse didn't go after the snake. He seemed interested but again, just never struck again or anything. I will throw a towel over his cage for the next 5 days only moving it to replenish water and mist.

I think im going to keep him and try and get him to feed, I'd feel terrible putting him through all this stress just to bring him back to the pet store where he sat for quite some time I know that.

According to the feed sheet, he has eaten roughly every 7-10 days since June. So he should be nice and hungry by the time another 5 days comes around.

Thanks alot

Josh

Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z)
09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
I wish you luck. I got an adult Lavender corn snake about 2 1/2 months ago, after having been told it eats F/T (and, last month, the previous owner admitted to me that the snake DOESN'T eat F/T). It STILL hasn't eaten for me (good thing he came to me fat!), except for one time when a baby refused a live pinky, which the big guy gobbled up in an instant. Since I won't feed live, nor pre-kill an animal myself, I have been waiting, worrying and hoping for a LONG time for this guy to eat, trying many "tricks of the trade", with no luck. Seriously, if I could take him back, I would. As it is, I'll probably end up rehoming him with someone who realizes he doesn't eat F/T.

If you come upon some magic way of getting your guy to eat, please let me know what it is!

Nanci
09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Mrs. Z, it'd be helpful to know if your guy would eat FK. The reptile shops near me will all kill mice on the spot- maybe yours will? If he wouldn't eat it, you could offer it to a different snake so it didn't go to waste. Then at least you'd see light at the end of the tunnel, if he'd take FK.

Chip
09-17-2010, 03:11 PM
An adult male skipping a meal wouldn't worry me. Any snake in the fall can be hit or miss, also, if on the typical brumation schedule. Add in the new environment, and there are plenty of reasons it might be hesitant to feed. I wouldn't worry a bit. I'd just try to feed it next time exactly the way the store had been doing it. Then slowly cater it to "your way." If you feed outside the cage (I'm no fan), I wouldn't the next try.

KustomRooR
09-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, i went and talked to the guy at the reptile store. Unfortunately there was nothing they could do apparently to further the "warranty" of the snake. So after some debate I decided to keep it, I would feel terrible to give-up on the poor guy. Between the stress of moving to this new home and then back again.

I went and picked up another tank (hehe this is my 6th tank in the house ;) ) and a few feeders for the other slithering friends. Will update soon thanks for the help guys ill see if anything works in a few days.

Thanks again

Josh

Nanci
09-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't rush him. Let him settle in and start wondering if you are ever going to feed him.

bitsy
09-18-2010, 05:25 AM
TBH a 7 day warranty isn't much good with a Corn as we usually recommend that they're left completely alone for a week to settle and and with a first feed after that. I think a bit of peace and quiet would help, as Nanci suggests.

courtney1121
09-18-2010, 05:45 AM
everyone has very good input. let him settle down and get acclimated. since he is an adult snake (as stated) he knows how to eat. and if you have the feed record from the store hes obviously BEEN eating. lol. so i would let him adjust then try feeding him if he doesnt eat wait a little longer. and so on. i got mine when he was about a year and he wasnt eating at first but i gave him time to settle down and get used to his new home and he eventually ate. patience!! and good luck. :)