• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feces Question

zero3803

I recently acquired a new young okeetee corn (last wednesday 9/15/10). I've been following the guidelines for new snakes, and he has not been handled yet. The first day I put him in, he explored his 10 gallon tank set up as per the proper parameters. I noticed in the span of approximately 5 hours, he had passed 2 small piles of feces. The first did not strike me as odd, it had the characteristic brown, and white urates. The second on the other hand had the brown, but the urates were chalk like and an almost orange color. I have pictures posted, but keep in mind these were taken today (5 days later).

For the record, he accepted his first f/t pinky after a 3 day acclimation period just fine.

If anyone has any idea what might have caused this, or if it's something to worry about I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
David

Also the pictures include the non-orange one first, followed by the one that sparked my interest, and then a picture of the snake for good measure. :)

Attachments

• poop1.JPG
    poop1.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 86
  • poop2.JPG
    poop2.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 86
  • snake1.JPG
    snake1.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 86
we really need to get a healthy poop thread...:eek: as gross as it might be its a good indicator of a healthy animal, and might be a good thing for us to have to identify underlying problems with a quick check!

but yeah, looks like a baby poop to me too

just the idea of a sticky poo thread... hahaha...

I think there might be more color to a very young snakes feces because as they grow, organs like the stomach and intestine might replace their lining. IF this is the case, gradually any odd color to the stool will fade over the months as less tissue is being replaced as the organs mature.

Another possibility is contents of the feeder's last meal might be coloring it's poo, but it's on pinkies, right? They dont eat, only nursing until they are hoppers.

Kudos to you, zero3803, for setting up your snake's home and giving it time to settle in. Kudos also for being an observant, curious keeper. Those traits will keep you and your snake happy and healthy for a long time to come. And yes, I concur with everybody else that you're looking at normal waste. :)

Back