PDA

View Full Version : any advice??

any advice??

Jay633
09-20-2010, 11:37 PM
not really a problem, but um i have a baby okeetee corn snake, it has eaten about 6 pinkies already, once a week. and it never attacks or constricts it, and i want it to learn so once it gets a bit bigger i can feed it live pinkies, any ideas how i can get it to learn how to do so? thanks in advance

reptojam
09-20-2010, 11:44 PM
if u are feeding frozen/thawed I'd keep it that way only because once it grows up on live - then it will rely on mostly that. If it grows up to rely on live adult mice...you run the chance of the mouse getting smart and actually biting and hurting your corn while its constricting/suffocating it.

BUT for now live pinkies u just toss in when its feeding time and the snake should eat it instantly. Don't stress if it doesn't - it just may not be hungry or it can be a picky eater.

Jay633
09-21-2010, 12:02 AM
yeah right now as soon as it sees a pinkie,(frozen then thawed) it goes up to it and eats it in a heartbeat. lol. but any more advice is appreciated

Dorgrim
09-21-2010, 12:04 AM
I think you are trying to feed in the wrong direction lol

You want to NOT feed live if you can avoid it. Not only does F/T save time for you and the snake, it insures your snake will be safe from bites or other injuries involved in the feeding process.

Also, in some states it is illegal to feed live unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary for an animals well being.

even so... your corn will just swallow the pinky alive if you gave it live...pinkies dont fight back at all...

BUT STILL

avoid live feeding

Jay633
09-21-2010, 12:09 AM
o okay thanks, i ask cause we used to have an amelanistic corn who only ate live and would constrict it til death then ate it but, but if its better for the snake to eat frozen then thawed pinkies, then thats what it will be, thanks guys

reptojam
09-21-2010, 12:10 AM
No Prob ;)