• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Snake a bit big or is this normal?

Vicic17

Hey guys i just got a new adult snake, he is an amel motley, born in 2006 and he is HUGE! i was just wondering if these are normal measurements for a 4 year old male corn snake (we don't have a camera at the moment but will get pictures ASAP.

Measurements:

Length: 5 feet
Weight: 722 grams
Girth: 4.5 inches

he is very strong and seems healthy, i just wanted to make sure if this is about average for a 4 year old snake.

thanks.

nick

I'd say it's big. Is he muscular, or fat? If you hold him by the lower quarter of his body, can he raise himself up to your hand? (Stephen's test for physical fitness!)

The age doesn't make a lot of difference once you hit around 3 years; they are mostly full grown by then and growth slows down to nearly negligible. No doubt, that's one big snake, since 4-4.5 feet is more the norm, so I don't think I'd say it's average, but perfectly "normal". It doesn't sound like he's fat. Of course, it's hard to visualize it, so a picture will be good when you can get one.

I will get a picture asap, he is very muscular yes and is able to lift himself up to my hand so i guess thats good! good to know, he will probably be my stud after the winter, (he's a proven breeder) i just wanted to make sure this wasn't an unhealthy snake to be breeding! thanks!

Back