• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shed in pieces

AlexEarl

My snake recently shed in 4 pieces and I have 3 questions.

1 it is a hypo butter and when it started it's shed cycle it went really pale but it's eyes did not turn blue, is this because of the morph and his red eyes.

And 2, it looks like all the pieces are off him but should I put him in a spare viv with a wet towel just to be sure?

And 3, is shedding in pieces bad for the snake?

Thanks

1 it is a hypo butter and when it started it's shed cycle it went really pale but it's eyes did not turn blue, is this because of the morph and his red eyes.
I have great difficulty telling when my Butter Mots are about to shed. I look at the body colour rather than the eyes for those. The overall colour becomes subtly paler but it isn't as as pronounced a change as something like an Amel. The still catch me out occasionally.

And 2, it looks like all the pieces are off him but should I put him in a spare viv with a wet towel just to be sure?
If you have the old shed bit with the eye caps and tail tip, then I wouldn't worry. You could give him a humid hide for a couple of days if you're concerned but don't leave it in there if he doesn't seem to need/use it.

And 3, is shedding in pieces bad for the snake?
Shedding in pieces is harmless as long as it all comes off at pretty much the same time. Sometimes the shed can tear as part of the shedding process when it gets snagged on whatever they rub against to get it off. It's not necessarily an indicator of a problem unless bits get left behind.

yer it looks like it has been ripped while he was shedding and the eye lids and tail tip have come off successfully.

guess he should be fine from what you have said

thanks

If you want to help out next time, you can increase humidity, as long as you can tell when the snake is blue. You can do this by creating a humid hide (moist hide), spraying water (misting) inside the viv or simply moving the water bowl closer to the warm side of the viv.

Here's a link to a thread showing you what to do if the snake cannot complete the shed by iteself:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170

Some of mine do this every time because they aren't graceful about slithering out of their old skins. I check the pieces and the snake and if the eyecaps & tail tips are in the pieces, or they are NOT on the snake, I figure it's fine. My BP Marbles usually keeps his tail tip on despite an otherwise perfect shed and I just flick it gently with a fingernail & it comes right off. He has kind of a weird tail tip and I think the shed sticks to it for that reason.

Back