PDA

View Full Version : Brownish discoloration?

Brownish discoloration?

bkelm18
09-30-2010, 05:14 PM
I noticed my adult corn (beautiful anery with excellent contrast) attempting to soak in his waterbowl last week but didn't really think much of it. The past few days he's been quite lethargic and has developed a brownish discoloration, almost like he's dirty, over much of his body. Could this be scale rot? He's not due for a shed so it can't be that. I'm going to quarantine him on paper towels. Would a betadine bath be in order? Any help? I can get some pictures tonight.

WingedSweetheart
09-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Could it be mites? Corns with mites often soak and they can make a snake lethargic. Sometimes on darker snakes it's easier to see the mite poop.

I've never dealt with mites or scale rot before but have read about it. From what I know of scale rot is that it turns the scales a rusty red or brown color and turns into blisters. Scale rot is usually caused by too much humidity. I've heard it can also be caused by not cleaning the snakes cage. Letting it get so nasty that the snake is crawling around in it's own filth.

Pictures would help. But if you suspect scale rot I would take the snake to see a vet.

bitsy
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
When mine got scale rot, the edges of her white belly scales became pale brown and ragged. I didn't notice a change in the upper part of her body, but she's a Bloodred and it might just have been a trick of her natural colour. No blisters either. She'd spent too much time in her humid hide (I'd left it in after she shed as she seemed to prefer it). Feedback was that the twin causes would be her being in too damp an environment for too long, and me not changing the substrate in the humid hide often enough. It wasn't filthy - she'd never pooped in it - but the environment was warm and damp, which was the perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

IF yours has scale rot (bear in mind that it's difficult to diagnose anything over the net and without a pic, so see a vet if in any doubt) then you need a very basic hospital setup. Paper towel substrate is good - I used newspaper. You need to use hides that can either be thrown away or easily disinfected. The idea is to do away with any nooks and crannies that bacteria could use as a refuge to multiply.

Change the towels/newspaper every day or every other day, even if she doesn't poop on it. Disinfect the tank and fittings every other day with a reptile-safe disinfectant. Wipe the snake down every day with a disinfectant. This doesn't win you popularity points with the snake I'm afraid!

I had to keep up this regime for a few weeks before I saw an improvement. She was also lethargic and went off her food during this time. She didn't start eating again until she'd gone through a couple of rapid shed cycles to clear off the damaged scales.

I used Betadine for my viv and snake and that did the trick. It was a slow old job though.

Good luck with yours. Hopefully there will be other ideas here soon as well.