PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait (swtiching to FT!)

How long to wait (swtiching to FT!)

Dorgrim
10-02-2010, 07:01 PM
I picked up a new snake 2 weeks ago and found out that the little bugger was not eating because he was raised on live mice. Im working on switching him over now but didn't know if there was an average wait time before I should give in to his want for live mice if he continues to refuse frozen thaw.

Next week im going to try some scenting with a live mouse, as well as prepping the area with some freshly used mouse bedding to see if i can't get him riled up to eat.

But again how long would one wait before worry about harming the snake or not providing enough food? It has only been two weeks so I am not currently worried at all. Hes 3 years old and has a good healthy build so I am sure he can take it for a while longer :)

So, what would you all recommend?

Thanks!

Nanci
10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I recommend trying either a fresh-killed mouse, or a FT mouse, dried with a blow drier till it's really hot. I guess I would wait seven days between tries, or even ten.

Nanci
10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
You easily have a couple months to try to get him to switch without worrying.

Dorgrim
10-02-2010, 07:59 PM
cool I will try the 7- 10 days

so far ive tried things like super hot mice, and splitting. he definitely liked the split open and the smell of blood. even struck at it, but once it was in his mouth he spit it out looking slightly confused lol.

Cool :) if i cant get him to go after this next mouse I will switch to fresh killed then go to FT and count that as a hurtle won!

quixoft
10-03-2010, 11:57 PM
One of mine refused the FT pinks no matter what I did after having his first 8 feedings on live. I tried the zombie dance, braining, rub geckos on the mice, etc. He wouldn't take them.

What finally worked for me was that instead of offering FT right away, I gave him one live pink and then one FT pink right after he ate the live(he was on double pinks at the time). He took the second FT with no issues after having the live first.

The next feeding I tried FT only and he took it with no issues. He has been on FT ever since and is now 40 grams and on fuzzies. Try that and see if it works.

quixoft
10-03-2010, 11:59 PM
If he is already on larger food(e.g. a single adult), you can drop down a size or two so you can give him two without filling him up too much.

Dorgrim
10-04-2010, 12:23 AM
If he is already on larger food(e.g. a single adult), you can drop down a size or two so you can give him two without filling him up too much.

thanks these tips are really helpful! i know there are endless combinations of things people can try so this will def be on my list to try out! :D

thanks!

Dorgrim
12-19-2010, 11:50 PM
I just wanted to update on this thread.

My snake who had refused to eat f/t for months now has finally done the unthinkable..

HE TOOK F/T!!!! WOOO! and right out of my tongs for me too!

This stubborn little dude refused to eat at all for 8 weeks, then took two small meals and after getting him to eat pretty happily has finally made the switch! He took down 3 hoppers and was looking for more by the end!
I wanted to update on this because it would give other people hope!

No matter how stubborn! have patience! work with your animal and pay attention to their moods and habits! It took a lot of work, with hair dryers, hot water, live scenting, quail eggs and all sorts of things and now, hes happily eating unscented hoppers! woo!
Hes still afraid of large mice, but let me tell you...this is so much safer for the snake, for the mouse (mice? lol) and saves you a bunch in the pocket in the end.

so people trying to switch or with a stubborn snake! dont give up! Ive switched 3 snakes now and this was def a challenge! after 4 months of trying, he switched!

you can do it too! this is proof :P !