PDA

View Full Version : feeding?

feeding?

gil5280
10-08-2010, 09:36 AM
i have a 2 month old, hes about to shed. his last meal was saturday, the breeder told me to only feed him every 7 days. i have read around and found people are feeding there babys every 5. should i offer him food today?

ShenziSixaxis
10-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I would. Some snakes eat during shed, some don't. Doesn't hurt to try.

And nice job finding the 5 day advice. Weekly feeding youngsters is more like a maintenance diet than something that'll help them grow.

Fatman608
10-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I agree with Shenzi on the first part, try and feed the little dude the worst that happens is you refreeze the pinky.

I only feed my snakes every 7 days. The smaller ones are growing fine and the adults are not getting fat. Most big breeds feed every 7 days is because it is easier for them. I feed every 7 days because that way I can not forget to feed them. Plus it makes my record keeping easier.

Love the Fatman

Nanci
10-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Is this his first meal with you? I generally don't feed when snakes are in shed. I have found feeding when the snake is in blue to be related to regurging. If I know the snake is blue, I skip it. If I thaw the prey, then get the snake out, and it's blue, I feed the prey to someone else.

I feed babies every five days. They are out prowling about looking for food the day after feeding- I'm a sucker. I also like to get them out of the fragile baby stage and up into the hardy "teenager" stage quickly.

gil5280
10-08-2010, 11:02 PM
well, i read this to late, i fead him. dropped the little rat in there by mistake, and before i could grab it to keep wiggling it, it got to it lol

he is about to shed and it is his first feed here at my house. also, i should add that he is in a small plastic container right now since the ttank i have for him is a few hours away back home. so he will be in there for a few more weeks. he has no other heating, i didnt think it was too necessary because we keep the house at 75, and it gets around 79 durring the day. i take him out side durring the day and let him get sun anyways

gil5280
10-10-2010, 06:14 PM
i fed him, its day two and i came back from a trip and found the pinky on the floor... he threw it up.. is this bad?

Nanci
10-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes, it's bad. Potentially life threatening. You are not keeping the snake warm enough. He needs a warm end of 85F, 24 hours a day, and a cool side of about ten degrees less. Putting a heat lamp on him for a few hours a day is not sufficient. Putting him out in the sun is not sufficient. He needs an adequate cage with a UTH and a thermostat or rheostat.

First, you need to get his housing straightened out, or you are going to kill him.

Then, you need to follow the regurgitation protocol. Do not feed him for 8-10 days. Get some Nutribac from Kathy Love http://www.cornutopia.com Sprinkle that on his food when you start feeding. He needs to have a pinky head _only_ for the first meal, and then gradually work back up to a small pinky. But don't even bother feeding him if you can't provide a temp warm enough for him to digest. In the 80's, 24 hours a day.

Nanci
10-11-2010, 11:13 AM
There's a reptile show in Orlando in a couple weeks. If you e-mail or PM Kathy, she can make sure she has Nutribac at the show for you.