PDA

View Full Version : 1 year old snake not eating...

1 year old snake not eating...

themichaelchoi
10-19-2010, 04:22 AM
My snake has been eating regularly up until the last 3 weeks. I placed a f/t mouse inside his tank and he won't even touch it. I repeated this 3 times and nothing. He occasionally wheezes. What's wrong? Do I have to take him to a vet? Should I downsize his food? HELP!

Frenchy89
10-19-2010, 05:11 AM
1st of all put him in a deli cup or shoe box w a secure lid not in his cage so he cant ignore the mouse and go hide leave covered for 30 min and look if not do it again for an hour if not wait a few days and try again what size mice are you using

MysticExotics
10-19-2010, 05:22 AM
My snake has been eating regularly up until the last 3 weeks. I placed a f/t mouse inside his tank and he won't even touch it. I repeated this 3 times and nothing. He occasionally wheezes. What's wrong? Do I have to take him to a vet? Should I downsize his food? HELP!

Sounds like a possible RI (respiratory infection). I would take the snake to a vet to get checked.
They will often refuse food when sick. It can be a indicator if the snake is normally a good eater, & not in shed.

Also, if you have other snakes, isolate this one from the others (in another room, if at all possible) until you find out. RI's can be very contagious. Use separate feeding tongs etc as well.

Tracee
10-19-2010, 08:24 AM
They also may refuse food when in the blue phase, and, so I'm told, loose skin can make clicking noises similar to thay of a respiritory infection.

However you describe the noise as wheezing and that's ringing alarm bells for me. I would second the opinion that you should go to the vet ASAP.