PDA

View Full Version : Shed Consistently Stuck on Tail Tip

Shed Consistently Stuck on Tail Tip

windowswisher
10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
I feel so bad for my little butter stripe. Despite a damp hide and correct humidity he has had consistently stuck sheds on the very, very tip of his tail. I will work and work to get it off in the bathtub after every shed, only to have it get caught again.

He is a very small snake, only 15g or so. It is the VERY end of his tail, not even a centimeter or so. After the last stuck shed, the end of his tail is red and irritated.

I feel so bad, and don't know what I am doing wrong. I've found limited information on this by using the "search" function, even though I know I've read threads by people with similar problems before.

Thanks in advance for all your kind help.

Nanci
10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Does he go into the damp hide? You could try misting his viv when he is blue, and laying plastic wrap loosely over the top to keep the humidity in. It's possible he has an injury, a constriction, on his tail tip causing the shed to break there.

windowswisher
10-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I do try to mist, but it's almost impossible to tell when he's in blue as he's so transparent. There is just a very light clouding of the eyes for a day or two.

I will definitely try the plastic on top. What you described about a "constriction" I would say might be accurate. Where the stuck shed begins there is a "pinch" in his tail, although I'm not sure if this is a cause or result of having almost every shed get stuck there.

I will saran wrap the viv's top. Poor guy. I hope this clears up.

Nanci
10-28-2010, 01:54 PM
He may have had one retained shed, which you subsequently removed, but still suffered skin damage from it. I have one snake that has a _big_ indentation on his tail tip from getting it caught in a deli cup. Which took $200 off his price, and made him affordable for me, but it is a continual problem every time he sheds.

VickyChaiTea
10-28-2010, 02:22 PM
This is very very common in young corns. I suggest soaking him in some water perhaps weekly until the tip comes off with a little help.

Nanci
10-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Do you soak him prior to trying to remove the tail tip? I find that a 15-20 minute soak makes it much easier.

Ruth89
10-28-2010, 02:44 PM
My lavender did the same thing until just the last time he shed. I tried soaking him and he hated it. So much in fact that he musked in the water.

I took a little plastic container (the one he came in cuz it already has holes) put some damp moss in there and burned (so the edges are smooth) a hole big enough for him to fit through. He loves it! He has not had a problem shedding since then.

WingedSweetheart
10-29-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a little corn that I got from the pet shop with this problem. The tip of her tail is damaged. At first I thought that it was because of retained shed and the circulation was cut off causing the tail tip to fall off. But know that I know more I don't think that is the cause. She would of had to have at least 2 stuck sheds before it would have done that and she was only a couple months old when I got her. I'm thinking more than likely the tail tip was crushed in the door of the cage she was in at the pet shop. Anyway, at 10 months old I still have to help her shed her tail tip. With each shed it gets a little better but I'm thinking I might have to do it forever.

WingedSweetheart
10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh forgot to say that this damage is so very small that you can hardly see it. My parents couldn't even see it until I got a magnifying glass out.

Also my first snake I got as a hatchling had this happen the first time she shed for me. It was only that one time though. So yes it is common for babies to have this problem but not with every single shed. I'm thinking your baby may have some tail damage.