PDA

View Full Version : Another Non-Feeder Method

Another Non-Feeder Method

Em Wright
10-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Well, I took in some non-feeders as I wanted the experience of being able to handle them. So far Reverend has taken two live pinkies in a row (yay!!) and I just got Joy to eat a Fish Oil scented F/T pinkie.

I didn't have any tuna or lizards available for scenting, but wanted to try scenting of some kind. My Mom actually suggested using the fish oil pills we give to our dogs. I thought I'd give it a try.

Out of four non-feeders (Rev was given live and not offered fish oil) only one actually took the offered mouse, but that's better than none! Hopefully, she'll persist with feeding on the fish oil scented pinkie. I'm glad to have another one on their way to becoming established feeders. :D

Oh and I hope this works for someone else who might be having problems getting hatchlings to eat!

:cheers:

Fatman608
10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Hey Em Wright,

Good luck with the non-eaters. I have to say that when you said fish oil I was wondering were someone would get fish oil from. However, as soon as I read from the pills you give your dogs I knew then because we do the same thing to help our dog with her skin problems.

I have to ask. When your dog farts does it smell like rotten fish because our dog goes.

Again good luck and looks like you will have good luck because you already got half of them eating.

Love the Fatman

bitsy
10-29-2010, 04:19 AM
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

MysticExotics
10-29-2010, 04:38 AM
That is a great idea! I will try it if I have problems with any of mine.
I give my dogs the same fish oil pills I take, that I get from Costco.
I've not noticed any noxious odors from them though. :D

Em Wright
10-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Yeah, our Siberian Husky thinks Fish Oil pills are a treat. The summer heat/humidity in our area is murder on his poor skin, but the fish oil really helps.

I don't take fish oil pills myself, I did once and the first time I burped it tasted like fish so I decided to pass. :awcrap: (sorry if that's a big graphic)

I've never noticed any unusual noxious gas from my dogs since giving them the pills, though. Then again they've always emitted a smell that I associate with a skunk juggling dead hamsters. :-puke02:

Lolo
10-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I've never noticed any unusual noxious gas from my dogs since giving them the pills, though. Then again they've always emitted a smell that I associate with a skunk juggling dead hamsters. :-puke02:

Oy... thanks for the weird mental picture. :uhoh: Whenever my dog farted, my old roommate would go "Rudy, have you been eating tires again?" LOL

Btw, do you think the fish oil trick would work on a ball python? I have one baby who refuses to eat, and I've tried just about everything (live, brained, mice & rats, failed assist feedings, etc). Willing to try it ALL at this point!

Em Wright
10-29-2010, 12:52 PM
No idea if it would work or not, Lolo... but it is worth a shot in my opinion. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get your BP to eat. :D

(And sorry for the weird mental image, lol)

snakechaarmer
10-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Oy... thanks for the weird mental picture. :uhoh: Whenever my dog farted, my old roommate would go "Rudy, have you been eating tires again?" LOL

Btw, do you think the fish oil trick would work on a ball python? I have one baby who refuses to eat, and I've tried just about everything (live, brained, mice & rats, failed assist feedings, etc). Willing to try it ALL at this point!

I don't know if it will work or not on a ball python, but I just had a similar VERY trying experience with a VPI axanthic ball python female hatchling..I tried EVERYTHING. African Soft Furred, Gerbils, Mice, Rats, all different sizes, F/T, P/K, scented, brained, assist feedings, EVERYTHING. At about 8 weeks I had to LITERALLY force feed the entire mouse fuzzy because she was so skinny I knew she would die soon. She spit out every assist feed attempt so I just gently forced it all the way in until she could pretty much close her mouth and then rubbed it down. She kept it down with no issues. After that, she STILL wouldn't eat on her own, so I gently pried her mouth open with a plastic knife and just set the F/T mouse in her mouth and she would immediately constrict and eat. JUST recently, like two weeks ago, she started striking/eating on her own. I was so happy I almost cried. LoL. It's been a long journey with her since July.

The only thing I can suggest is a full on force feed at least once and see if it improves from there. :/ Best of luck.

MysticExotics
10-29-2010, 04:45 PM
My dogs think the fish oil pills are treats too. LOL
I take high dose fish oils, myself. Fish oil is a natural anti inflammatory.

Lolo
10-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks snakechaarmer & Em Wright, and sorry for hijacking the thread. ;) My non-feeding baby is still strong, and somehow hasn't lost any weight... he is exactly the same as his hatch weight, even after 8 weeks of not eating! Weird, huh? Hopefully he will eat soon, or I'm gonna have to get someone to help with assist feeding - since I tried but couldn't get him to take it.