PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problem for 3 of my snakes

Feeding problem for 3 of my snakes

decadence
10-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Ok i'll explain each snake and methods i've tried.

1. we have Casper. When i first got him he ate down two pinkies with no problem at all, after that he hasn't ate again, it's been a couple weeks now but nothing, i've tried braining, soaking in tuna, assist feeding and even putting him in a paper bag with live/thawed food, but nothing.

2. we have Bandit. He would not eat from the day we got him a few weeks back, wouldn't even look at thawed food but when we gave him a live pinkie he tried to eat it a couple times and then would let go of it and leave it alone. again i've tried the bag, braining, scenting etc...but nothing...

3. we have houdini, when we first got him a few weeks back he wouldn't eat either, we tried all the methods but no luck, we finally assist fed him and he ate it down with no problem and has since to eat another one.

I do not feel comfortable force feeding my snakes so i may have to take them down to be checked out. Does anyone have any other solutions that i can try? I'm about to try the fish oil method next...anyone have an objection to the fish oil method?

Susan
11-01-2010, 06:28 AM
How long have you left them with the live pinky? I have a couple of hatchlings right now that need to be alone with the pinky for at least 48 hours and even longer before they will eat it. Have you tried scenting with a lizard or washing the scent off the F/T pinky yet? Those methods have been known to work as well.

decadence
11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
How long have you left them with the live pinky? I have a couple of hatchlings right now that need to be alone with the pinky for at least 48 hours and even longer before they will eat it. Have you tried scenting with a lizard or washing the scent off the F/T pinky yet? Those methods have been known to work as well.

I've left them in a rub (one at a time) with a live pinkie and then two pinkies for 48 hours in a darker more quiet location. I had them in a plain rub and then in a rub made up to be a home with a hide, water bowel, bedding etc. But the pinkies remained untouched.

When I scent with another animal does it have to be alive? Or can I buy another frozen animal to scent with?