PDA

View Full Version : skin on head

skin on head

insomniac
11-03-2010, 02:03 PM
OK, for the last three or four days I have been noticing my two year old corn constantly going back and forth between the two front corners pushing her nose against the corners of her viv and she's actually doing it right now. Sometimes she does this REALLY hard, so hard that the rear half of her body ends up pushing nearly all the aspen into mounds towards the center of the viv and some into the water dish. Yesterday I noticed some what looks like skin on her head and nose kinda trying to come off? I tried to get a picture of it but noting will show on a pic.
My question is this... she has not shed since 9/3/10 and usually sheds more often than that. Would you guys suggest trying to get this skin off with a wet Q-tip? Or just wait until she sheds to see if she gets it off herself. I wouldn't want to make it any worse. She is not even showing signs of going blue yet though. Just incase here is the last few times she shed. She is 176 grams and gets fed every 7 days according to the munson plan

now 2months later 11-3-10 and no signs of going blue
9-3-10
7-13-10
6-1-10
4-29-10
3-31-10

Added note.... The skin I'm seeing looks almost exactly like the pic of Fred in Nanci's post here except it's not that bad and only on the tip of her nose and very top of her head.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96803&highlight=fred+spectacle

I'm going to try Naci's way with the plastic container and washcloth with warm water tomorrow morning. It's just weird because after all her sheds I have checked her and never saw anything left over.

Karoni
11-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Is it possible her eyes clouded and cleared up without you seeing it and now she's beginning the shedding process?

insomniac
11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I was gone all day yesterday, got home this morning and now shes definitely going blue and shes hiding. Why would she have been trying to get skin off days before she ever even went blue??

insomniac
11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Well it turns out shes NOT going blue as I thought. Although the loose skin is getting worse and is now under her mouth also. She was fed last night and when I woke up this morning she had her head poked out the hot hide, and I was able to snap a shot showing the skin... which is much worse then when she ate last night. You can see it under her chin in the pic, it's also a bit on her head which you can't see.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4025/skin1w.jpg

bitsy
11-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Even if she hasn't gone through the shedding routine visibly, she might be throwing you a curveball. All of the evidence you describe points to a shed. Pop a humid hide in with her and see if she uses it.

insomniac
11-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Just added a humid hide with some moss a few minutes ago. She went in right away but can't decide now, just circling the outside of it.. thanks bitsy

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2382/dsc00851m.jpg

bitsy
11-06-2010, 07:42 PM
I wish I could read their minds sometimes! What is going on in those little heads? Keep us posted...

insomniac
11-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I wish I could read their minds sometimes! What is going on in those little heads? Keep us posted...

I will keep posted... She went back in and has been in there for 4 and a half hours now. How long should I let her stay in there for to not worry about scale rot? I saw a post I think you made about a humid hide and scale rot. I obviously want to avoid that. thanks again

bitsy
11-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Mine was holed up in there for several weeks. I'm sure yours will be fine for at least a week. If she is shedding, it hopefully shouldn't take much longer anyway.

Mine might have been OK if I'd been on the ball enough to change the substrate in the hide regularly. I thought as she hadn't pooped in there, it must be OK. Of course bacteria (as I now understand scale rot to be) love anywhere warm and damp - I just didn't think about it enough. I definitely won't be risking a long-term session again!

insomniac
11-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Ok, that makes me feel better... She's out of the humid hide now anyway and relaxing in the hot hide. She had her head poked out a few minutes ago and the skin I pictured in my above post looks like it's gone, but now she's very dull and almost all the way blue. Soo she should actually shed soon now. thanks again bitsy

bitsy
11-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Sounds like she has the process properly underway at last!