PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know much about crypto?

Anyone here know much about crypto?

camarogirl79
11-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone here knew much about cryptosporidisis? I receive a pair of albino everglades rats in a trade about 2 months ago, they are bout 7 mo old, and everything has seemed fine up til about a week ago I noticed a large swelling in my males midsection stomach area like he had eaten a large meal. Last time he ate was 10/23, noticed lump 11/3. Has refused food past 2 feedings I feed every Sat a small mouse fuzzie. He was in shed at the time so I though that was why he refused food. Lump was hard and today looked bigger and had greenish/purplish color to belly scales like bruising or something. He's curring at the vet with me right now. We did xrays and don't see anything insde him, obstruction or undigested food. and we have sent off a fecal sample to check for paracites, couldn't get a blood sample from him, too small. but when I went to go check on him the lump in his belly has gone down. He seems active, no regurging or vomiting but also hasn't eaten past 2 weeks. Haven't seen any diarrhea either, seemed to be pooping normally. He is much smaller than my female, who seems fine, and lookes like he may have lost some weight in past 2 weeks. temp kept at 80-85 degrees day and dropped to 75 degrees at night. He has only been kept on paper towels since him and the female have been in quarantine since I got them and they are housed seperatly. Does the swelling go away with Crypto or is it constant? Has anyone ever had this happen before? Should I go ahead an euthanize to be safe since there is no cure for Crypto or wait and hope it's something else? Please if someoner could give me some feedback it would really help!

Lennycorn
11-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Found this when I use the Search function up top.
It will highlight Crypto in all the post so you can scan ofer them.

Crypto is generally a fatal disease. It's marked by abscess type swellings, diarrhea and regurgitation. The cryptosporidium itself is very resistant to most disinfecting methods. Heat sterilization seems to be the only thing that will kill it. I hope that's not what your snake has. If she hasn't had any other issues then I suspect it might be something more benign. Let us know what the vet finds.