PDA

View Full Version : New Corn's Size

New Corn's Size

Nitemare
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
I was wondering if my new Okeetee is at a healthy weight for his size. He is an EARLY 09...I used the Serpwidgets thing to measure him and he is right around 31" long, and weighs 175 grams. Does this sound right? I don't think he looks too chunky, I think it's just the way the picture looks (see http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106713)...but someone had mentioned something about it so I thought I'd double check in the proper section.

So early 2009, which makes him about 1.5 years old. 31 inches long. 175 grams.

Also, according to the Munson Plan he could eat something as big as a "Weanling" or "Small Adult Mouse"...but he seems to skinny to handle one...would it hurt to try a large hopper first and see how big of a lump it leaves in him, then go up a size if needed?

Thanks,
Joe

OkeeteeMom
11-18-2010, 03:33 PM
I also believe Nitemare looks a wee tad pudgy. Maybe he just hasn't been exercised enough. If you take him out and handle him every day (Except for at least 2 days after he's eaten!)...you know, make him work by climbing your body, or supervised down some stairs, or a swim in tepid water, he'll tone up.

Nitemare
11-18-2010, 03:40 PM
He definitely seemed very explorative and did not want put back in him tank...
He is in a 10G, but I get paid on Monday and I think I am going to go ahead and splurge on a 20L. He's big enough and it will give him more room to move around and such...

OkeeteeMom
11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
OOOH! Since you're going to be investing in a new Viv for him, may I sincerely suggest you consider the ZILLA LOCKING LID CRITTER CAGE? Check PetCo...my local store has had them on sale for a while now...yours may too!

Karoni
11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Hey Nitemare,

I'm no expert but he looks a bit heavy to me. Also, I second OkeeteeMom's kudos of the Zilla Critter Cage. Worth every cent.

Nitelion94
11-18-2010, 06:14 PM
im no expert but he is a little bit big. But I can say anything bad im a big boy myself. Yea I third the zilla

Nitelion94
11-18-2010, 06:15 PM
I meant to say he looks big. and I cant say anything******

Nitemare
11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
So the Munson Plan says that he COULD do Weanling-Small Adults...should I cut him back to large Hoppers for a little bit?

OkeeteeMom
11-18-2010, 06:27 PM
So the Munson Plan says that he COULD do Weanling-Small Adults...should I cut him back to large Hoppers for a little bit?

Snakes can go for quite a long time in between meals. Some people feed every 3 or even every 4 weeks! The Munson plan is a very good guideline, but like everything else...each situation may be different. I may have missed this Joe, but is Nitemare feeding on Mice or Rats? Rats are fattier. If you feel like changing him over to Mice Hoppers for a bit, I don't see that as a problem.

Honestly, he's not obese or unhealthy, right? So I really think if he's on Mice and getting exercised (daily if possible), he should tone right up!

Haarstad
11-18-2010, 06:36 PM
He may be a smidgen pudgy, nothing to be worried about. In order to tell you about food items, it would be nice to get a comparison... maybe a picture of him next to a dollar or next to the food item right before lunch? It's hard to tell the actual size without something to compare it to...

I'm a 4th for the Zilla, i had mine in a 10 gal and recently upgraded to a 40 gallon Zilla and i'd never go to any other kind on tank. Everyone has pictures of their vivs in the "Post your viv" thread in the Husbandry forum. Maybe you want to go check that out and you can add yours to the thread :D

Congrats on your new snake!