PDA

View Full Version : feeding problem

feeding problem

nae3888
03-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi,
I have an 8 year old female corn snake that has eaten absolutely every time I've fed her. Just recently she has refused to eat. The past two weeks she wouldn't eat. This worries me because in all her 8 years she's never not eaten. Everything else about her appears normal. She has normal looking stool and does it regularly. She also hides in her house most of the time as normal and is active, as usual, whenever I take her out. I'm a little worried even though it's probably nothing. Could someone please tell me what they think about my problem?

Joje126
03-08-2004, 08:43 PM
First of all, are you sure that shes a female?

Second of all its very common for males to go off food this time of year (Im dealing with this problem with my 3 year-old male, hes going on week 4 with no food). Ive heard too, that although less common, some females will go off food around this time. By "this time" I am reffering to breeding season.

Is there anything new that could suddenly be encouraging her to go off food? - like a new snake in your house that she can smell, or maybe she got a little bit colder this winter than usual? Also, when was the last time she shed?

Overall I wouldnt be worried, and 8 year old corn with no history of an eating problem can sustain itself without food for some time.

Hope this helps
:cheers:

nae3888
03-08-2004, 10:28 PM
thank you. She was sexed when she was a baby but people can always make mistakes. She's never done anything weird in breeding season so i'm pretty sure that she's not male because i have two males and they're always crazy in breeding season. thanks for reassuring me that going 2 weeks without food is no biggy.

Toeboe
03-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi there,,I have a 5ft corn of about 10 years old. I have had him (i assume its male tho its never been sexed) for about 5 years. Every winter he stops feeding. I used to drop temps in winter to simulate climate but read here that it made no difference, so i now leave temps constant all year. He took his last mice on 29 Nov,,,yes you did read correct,,lol. This is normal for all the years I have had him. He is very active and not snappy. I keep try him with food at regular intervals all thru his fasting period. He's coming to the stage where he is pushing feeds around when offered but not yet eating. It will come soon, as it has done each year so far,,,i hope,lol. So dont panic over short periods of time. So long as your snake doesnt look excessively underweight, i wouldn't worry.

Toeboe
03-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Yipeeeee,,as if on cue,,he took his first mouse since 29 Nov on 17th march. Last year it was 22nd of March.

disappointed13
03-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Whew, *sigh of release*! Good thing I read this message, I came on here to ask the same question!!! My baby of 8 years has been going CRAZY trying to get out of his cage, (rubbed his poor nose good too :( ) but has not eaten since Feb. 21st, and showed no interest in several times I've tried to feed him since then!! I, too, thought this was a huge deal because even though he used to get a little like this before, (trying to get out constantly) he has never ignored food!! But, I am very relieved this seems to be normal, since I have the same situation..everything else is normal..he's not skinny, or irritable...Pooping normal (on my carpet about an hour ago :crying: ) He just wants to come crawl all over my living room! Wow, I can't believe it, Nov.29th?? haha...and I thought one month was a long time!!

LOL,
Steph

Josh241
03-21-2004, 05:58 AM
Just to add my own contribution, my cornsnake has often gone off food for a while (months at a time even) but he's a healthy 8 year old now.