PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about my rescue

Concerned about my rescue

carnivorouszoo
11-25-2010, 11:08 AM
I just weighed the female and I know my scale is right I have an item I use to check for accuracy now and then. She weighed 693 when I got her on the 23rd. She just weighed in at 642. That is a 51 gram drop. I only exercised her for 10 minutes yesterday. That is all the exercise she has done with me. Do you think she's ok? I just gave her an FT Hopper. She has really bad fatty hip deposits, I want her to tone up not go all skinny :(

carnivorouszoo
11-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Just weighed and fed the male. He actually put ON one gram! Weighed 963 on the 23rd, weighs 964 now?? He exercised 15 minutes yesterday. Just gave him a hopper.

OkeeteeMom
11-25-2010, 12:10 PM
That is a 51 gram drop. Did you search the Viv for a poop/pee?

TandJ
11-25-2010, 02:19 PM
The hips will not disappear.. They will reduce, but never go away...

Regards.. Tim of T and J

ghosthousecorns
11-25-2010, 06:32 PM
That big of a loss doesn't seem right... is it possible the last time you weighed her the number included the weight of the container she was in? (I would weigh it just to make sure that was not the case)
Otherwise can you please tell me where I can get on this mracle weight loss diet...

Outcast
11-25-2010, 08:32 PM
My corn had some pretty nice sized hips when I got her. The previous owner fed her rat pups and stuff. Luckily after switching her to mice, and adding a few things to her viv she has all but worked off the hips. I still see loose skin in the area where she was pretty fat, but it is 100x's better than when I got her. Just keep on doing what you are doing. Like I tell my wife, your body builds muscle and then looses fat, it doesn't happen all at once. It may work the same way with snakes.

Nanci
11-25-2010, 08:36 PM
I wonder if the first time you weighed her, she hadn't pooped. That can make a big difference in a big snake.

ghosthousecorns
11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
a 51 gram poop just doesn't seem possible to me, although I can honestly say I have never weighed one.

Nanci
11-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Well, I've had snakes show a 30ish gram difference, especially if you catch them right when they are going blue, and then after they shed and poop. If you think of 25 grams or so as the size of a big hatchling- sure, my adults do poops way bigger than that!!

carnivorouszoo
11-26-2010, 12:07 PM
She had pooped before being weighed the 23rd. She also saw a vet that day and he did not catch any issues. I will recheck for droppings I may have missed. I use a tub that weighs 311 grams so no, I don't think the container was included in the first weight. I zero out the container then weigh the snake. She ate fine for me, it had been 2 weeks since the old owner had fed them, and she had started exercising them. I will keep you guys posted. I will be weighing them each time I feed them like I do with my other snakes. Thanks for the responses. Oh, and I don't expect the hips to totally go away but I do hope to eventually see an improvement.

carnivorouszoo
11-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry, forgot to note she was keeping them at 68-75 degrees, I keep them 78-83 degrees F. I imagine being warmer might have an effect on their metabolism?