PDA

View Full Version : My new baby corn died of crypto, should i be corncerned about my boa?

My new baby corn died of crypto, should i be corncerned about my boa?

MikeV
11-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey guys :(

Well i posted here before about my corn not eating. I woke up and he was near death, with a black mark on his belly that was enlarged

I am 100% sure it was crypto.. so I humanely put him down

I am so torn up about it... i have been crying for hours on end.

And now I am even more worried. because this showed up AFTER the one month of Quarentine was up. so he was in my reptile room

I am worried about my boa now.

Can red tail boas contract the crypto that infects corn snakes?

And should I be worried about my two lizards? (leopard gecko and savannah moitor?)

Is it transmitted via air? I NEVER let me animals come in contact with each other and I ALWAYS wash my hands and use hand sanitizer inbetween handling of my animals

Should I do worried about any of my other animals?

Shiari
11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Was the corn having mucus-filled diarrhea? Was he regurging meals? Most corns, when they die or are near death, develop a large dark spot. That mark is not crypto.

The only way to say that you had a snake die of crypto would be to have a necropsy done.

Crypto is transmitted via contact with gastrointestinal fluids/contents.

danielle
11-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Sounds like you saw the gallbladder which appears as a greenish black spot before death. Did you quarantine this snake away from your collection? If not than yes if this snake had a communicable disease you should worry, if not than just keep a close eye out and make sure to disinfect all husbandry items well:)

MikeV
11-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Was the corn having mucus-filled diarrhea? Was he regurging meals? Most corns, when they die or are near death, develop a large dark spot. That mark is not crypto.

The only way to say that you had a snake die of crypto would be to have a necropsy done.

Crypto is transmitted via contact with gastrointestinal fluids/contents.

He has runny poops yes, I would dewcribe it as diarrhea but I dont think it ever had mucus in it.

He never regurged because he only ate once in all the time I had him :(

So it might not have been crypto? Maybe he just had something internally wrong, something fatal?

So I shouldnt worry about my other animals? Even if it was crypto because my other animals never came into contact with his waste?

Thanks

RIP little buddy :( I going to go burry him right now :cry: :cry: :cry:

MikeV
11-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Sounds like you saw the gallbladder which appears as a greenish black spot before death. Did you quarantine this snake away from your collection? If not than yes if this snake had a communicable disease you should worry, if not than just keep a close eye out and make sure to disinfect all husbandry items well:)

Yeah i had him in QT for one month as recommended by the vet, he died shortly after I moved him into my reptile room :(

tricksterpup
11-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah i had him in QT for one month as recommended by the vet, he died shortly after I moved him into my reptile room :(

To be honest, you should always QT your animals between 6 months to a year, the longer the better.

carnivorouszoo
11-26-2010, 03:50 PM
6 months to a year is a little exsessive in my oppinion. Especially since no one has enough rooms to quarantine the many animals I hear of being added to collections. Yeah I know that means you have to wait longer before buying new, but a lot of people with corn snakes don't.

That said I quarantine for 6 feedings. So the Quarantine depends on the frequency of feeds, also a clean bill of health from the vet after the 6th feed.

I don't think you should bury the snake if you are worried about crypto. You need to take the body to a vet and have a necropsy done to be safe.

tricksterpup
11-26-2010, 04:23 PM
6 months to a year is a little exsessive in my oppinion. Especially since no one has enough rooms to quarantine the many animals I hear of being added to collections. Yeah I know that means you have to wait longer before buying new, but a lot of people with corn snakes don't.

That said I quarantine for 6 feedings. So the Quarantine depends on the frequency of feeds, also a clean bill of health from the vet after the 6th feed.

I don't think you should bury the snake if you are worried about crypto. You need to take the body to a vet and have a necropsy done to be safe.

But many illnesses do not show up until possible 6 months to a year..
And to be honest, if you have 30 snakes, you really take them in?? I have to call bull hockey on this.
But hey thanks to the newb giving someone with 10 plus years of experience on keeping and how to Quarantine reptiles.

MikeV
11-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Its too late guys, i already burried him.

I dont believe he had crypto anymore

He didnt have all of the symptons, he didnt even have a majority of the symptoms. I think he just died due to some unkown internal "defect"

Thanks for everybodys help

Ares2010
11-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I am so sorry the little guy died. It upset me reading this.

MikeV
11-26-2010, 04:48 PM
I am so sorry the little guy died. It upset me reading this.

to be honest I couldnt stop crying for hours, and It really hurt me when I had to humanely put him down. It was so hard for an animal lover like me to do that...

carnivorouszoo
11-26-2010, 04:48 PM
And to be honest, if you have 30 snakes, you really take them in?? I have to call bull hockey on this.
But hey thanks to the newb giving someone with 10 plus years of experience on keeping and how to Quarantine reptiles.

Who said I have 30 snakes? As to do I take all of mine in? YES. I do not have more animals than I can pay for a vet on. My vet allows me to pay ahead so I have a credit on my account at almost all times. No one should have more pets than they can afford to care for in my oppinion. And care for any animal includes vet fees. Call bull hockey all you want. I do not lie.

No need to bite my head off. Everyone is allowed to have their own oppinion. Why do you constantly feel the need to jump on me on here? You come across as a know it all and very harsh. I really don't appreciate it. Glad you have 10 plus years experience with snakes, yes I am a newbie. First to admit it. Doesn't mean I am stupid.

Ares2010
11-26-2010, 04:54 PM

to be honest I couldnt stop crying for hours, and It really hurt me when I had to humanely put him down. It was so hard for an animal lover like me to do that...

I can certainly imagine how upsetting it was for you.

The mere thought of something happening to my baby, Ares, upsets me let alone seeing him pass.

I love animals too so I know what you mean.

Hopefully if you get another baby corn it will take away the sadness some.

wstphal
11-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Who said I have 30 snakes? As to do I take all of mine in? YES. I do not have more animals than I can pay for a vet on. My vet allows me to pay ahead so I have a credit on my account at almost all times.

What a good idea! Running a credit balance with the vet is really clever. That way, if disaster strikes you don't have to come up with the whole vet fee the day before payday.

That alone is worth the post!

Ares2010
11-26-2010, 05:00 PM
What a good idea! Running a credit balance with the vet is really clever. That way, if disaster strikes you don't have to come up with the whole vet fee the day before payday.

That alone is worth the post!

Agreed. Very smart thing to do

wstphal
11-26-2010, 05:00 PM
(((MikeV))) Baby corns don't always survive. In the wild, A LOT of them don't survive. Your little one might have had something wrong, since he or she wouldn't eat. I am very sorry for your loss, it's always upsetting when a pet dies. I hope you will try again when you are ready, maybe with a snake that is a little older and more well-established. A first clutch 2010 "leftover" might be just the ticket, if they hatched in June they have some size on them & have taken plenty of meals.

MikeV
11-26-2010, 06:23 PM
I can certainly imagine how upsetting it was for you.

The mere thought of something happening to my baby, Ares, upsets me let alone seeing him pass.

I love animals too so I know what you mean.

Hopefully if you get another baby corn it will take away the sadness some.

Yeah I am thinking once im okay and maybe a few months away I will get another corn snake :)

no doubt in my mind

(((MikeV))) Baby corns don't always survive. In the wild, A LOT of them don't survive. Your little one might have had something wrong, since he or she wouldn't eat. I am very sorry for your loss, it's always upsetting when a pet dies. I hope you will try again when you are ready, maybe with a snake that is a little older and more well-established. A first clutch 2010 "leftover" might be just the ticket, if they hatched in June they have some size on them & have taken plenty of meals.

thanks

Yeah, its sad but not all survive. I think that next time like you said im going to get an older corn, perhaps not an adult but not a babie either.

tricksterpup
11-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Who said I have 30 snakes? As to do I take all of mine in? YES.
I apologize the portion in bold is not directed to you but its more of a question. I am not saying you have 30 snakes. I am saying if you have 30 snakes do you need to take them all in? No, A proper quarantine period is still needed for herps before you introduce them into your herp room.
There are many illnesses that will not show up. There are many animals besides corns that will not exhibit signs of an illness that a vet can readily pick up.
there are other issues to watch for that 2 months may not be long enough. Such as Mites, typically it should be 3 months in isolation.
You can have a QT room, and introduce a new animal into that room with others. It then should then be a new intro date to your old animals, such as 6 months later.

SnakeAround
11-26-2010, 08:04 PM
You can have a QT room, and introduce a new animal into that room with others. It then should then be a new intro date to your old animals, such as 6 months later.

Hence, the newest snake could then infect the previous newest snake in quarantine? Keep on doing that and you might still end up with several diseased snakes if a new one carries a disease. Of course, you would have spared your older collection but still, where do you draw a line to call it a quarantine room? Or would you treat the snakes in the Q-room differently?

carnivorouszoo
11-26-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't care how many animals I have they would see a vet. Thus I keep my numbers to those I can afford to take to a vet. Its not my fault if other people don't do the same. It is unfair to have animals you don't take to a vet when needed.

tricksterpup
11-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Hence, the newest snake could then infect the previous newest snake in quarantine? Keep on doing that and you might still end up with several diseased snakes if a new one carries a disease. Of course, you would have spared your older collection but still, where do you draw a line to call it a quarantine room? Or would you treat the snakes in the Q-room differently?

The new collection never really exceeds over 4 animals.
My current collection of new animals have also come from the same breeder. So I have no issues keeping them together.
But typically, its small numbers under 4 that I would keep together in a different room.
Also, to be fair, my QT room is in another part (level) of the house. And it has saved my Main collection from issues in the past, such as mites.

tricksterpup
11-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't care how many animals I have they would see a vet. Thus I keep my numbers to those I can afford to take to a vet. Its not my fault if other people don't do the same. It is unfair to have animals you don't take to a vet when needed.

hmm.. who is the hostile one now?
Problem is a vet isnt always the answer when its just simply a QT. Never buy to many animals that you can not keep in a separate area.
But Trust me, I am giving good sound advice from years of experience and working with Experienced herpers. This is free, preventive care to your animals. Just monitor and yes, if it looks suspicious, take a fecal sample in and the animal as well.

carnivorouszoo
11-26-2010, 10:27 PM
After much thought I figured I should explain a little more. I do not take my snakes in for yearly checkups. I only take NEW animals to a vet for a health check, and animals that are showing signs of being ill. I do not put animals into my regular or "old" collection until they pass a vet check. If I did not have this step I would never get new animals because my snakes would be in a perpetual quarantine. Just giving them time seperate does not guarantee no illness. A quarantine can not just be a set amount of time. There are things that could show up in basic tests that I might not be able to identify on my own so why risk my animals by not having a vet check them over? As to being hostile I should not have to deffend myself or my beliefs so if I have gotten my back up it is not entirely my fault.

Honestly if I were straight out new and read what you said I would propbably take that to mean I did not ever have to take my snakes to a vet because the way you sound, vets don't know anything and can not help. A quarantine alone is not enough to ensure new snakes are not ill. Even experienced breeders sometimes send out animals that had a dormant illness brought to light by shipping. It happens, read the many threads on here where it has happened.

It only makes sense to protect your established collection by taking NEW animals not ALL at once to a vet. When you said "If you have 30 animals do you take them all in" you imply all should go to the vet at once just because I added a new snake, no. The new one goes in.

I rarely get more than one at a time and try to never get new ones if I have any already in Quarantine. It is simple precaution. Why risk the ones already in quarantine by getting more? It does not make sense to me to do that. Much easier to quarantine one at a time than keep adding new to a predetermined number (for you it seems to be 4) just to sit away from my other animals for an entire year? It could take a whole year from purchase of the first to get to the fourth for me. Would not make sense to have the first still in quarantine a year from the time of aquisition of the fourth, so I save myself a lot of trouble by not buying any while having any in quarantine. Just makes more sense than having one in quarantine for 2 years or so.

Don't get me wrong, you found what works for you and I am glad, but it would not work for me. What I do works for me. That should be the end of it. As Susan and Nancy are fond of saying: "there is no one right way to do things". That said, I don't see any reason for you to keep trying to push the way you do things on me. Especially since I have yet to have a sick animal beyond the two overweight snakes I just took on. The earliest I will take on any new animals would be April next year. IF these two are doing well and none of my others have gotten ill or had any issues. The reason for waiting longer than I normally would is because these two need so much work to get back into shape. I do not expect the female to ever look normal, she was allowed to get far to many fatty deposits on her tail, however, I do think I can get her much better than she is now. I am lucky she is not eggbound from being co-habbed prior to coming into my care.

I don't take risks with my snakes, leaving it to a quarantine alone is taking risks to me, perhaps not to you but it is to me. I don't see why my differing oppinion (which is generally seen as a good oppinion) should offend or threaten you like this.

danielle
11-26-2010, 10:54 PM
When most people QT they do not use the same husbandry items in each cage. For example new animals in my home stay downstairs and I bleach, feed, and clean with different tools than I use upstairs in my healthy collection. I hand wash between each new animals cage so not to spread illness throughout my new collection and wash all their bowls separately instead of dumping them all in the same sink like I do with my established collection. I do not reuse a tool in a different cage until it is bleached down which makes care time consuming, but limits exposure to non airborne virus's and bacteria. That said I QT for 90 days as long as I see no signs of illness like stools that are off, overly smelly, feeding issues, or other indicators of poor health like funny breathing, nasal discharge, mites, skin sores, and other abnormalities. I care for my established collection first as well, or shower and change before going into my reptile room. If I see any signs of illness or something I feel is off my QT is extended by another 90 days and a fecal sample is sent out. To each their own, but QT has saved me from dealing with mites that would have devastated my collection and made for days of work.

ratsnakehaven
11-26-2010, 11:14 PM
To each their own, but QT has saved me from dealing with mites that would have devastated my collection and made for days of work.

True, quarantine protects against mites and other parasites and/or diseases.

I noted that several people have mentioned their fear of (snake) mites. I "might" (pun intended, haha) add that mites are easy to prevent. Whenever I get a new snake I put it in a holding tank that has been pretreated for mites. Then I observe the new animal for a couple weeks. At the same time I get a fecal sample as soon as I can to make sure there aren't any internal parasites. If you have a decent microscope you can do this yourself. Since I've been doing this I haven't had any problems with any kind of parasite. It's been many years.

Hope this helps a little... :sidestep:

SnakeAround
11-27-2010, 10:49 AM
The new collection never really exceeds over 4 animals.
My current collection of new animals have also come from the same breeder. So I have no issues keeping them together.
But typically, its small numbers under 4 that I would keep together in a different room.
Also, to be fair, my QT room is in another part (level) of the house. And it has saved my Main collection from issues in the past, such as mites.

Ok, then I see what you mean.