PDA

View Full Version : Feeding youngster.

Feeding youngster.

ZundayXx
11-29-2010, 11:29 AM
I've recently gotten a snake, hese a young one arround 2-3 months. The guy at the store i bought him told me to feed him every 3 days. I've fed him friday with a towl over a little basket. I've tried feeding him without a towl today but still outside his cage. He wasn't very happy as i had to get him out of his plant ( Got rid of that now ) but he just went biting at it, he didn't actually eat it.

Then i've tried doing the towl trick. Nothing. He just won't eat. He just went stressing arround, right now hese lying on the bottom of his cage under inside the soil i use. ( Snake Bedding )

My question is, should i keep feeding him every 3 days or should i revert to the 5-6 days plan??

atmox
11-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Well forget just everything the store has told you and learn caring for cornsnakes through this forum. Snakes should be fed every 5-7 days, bit of personal preference. No wonder he didn't eat again after three days he's probably still digesting his previous meal. Why did you remove the plant?

Sarah1228
11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes feeding every 3 days is too much for some snakes. Revert to feeding every 5 days, and allow 48 hrs to digest. Also if you just got him, I'd leave him alone for a week to help him settle in. Just make sure you have enough hides since snakes love to hide, it makes them feel safe & secure. And when they are little like that, they can be very nervous don't be alarmed its normal.

ZundayXx
11-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Thank guys ill put him on a 6 day diet. And i removed the plant because he was in there to much and if i wanted to grab him for something important he stressed out because he got stuck inside the plant. I still have some of it but i now have it loose, he can still climb.

ZundayXx
11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Ow and as to hides i have a little toilet roll, the plant i now have loose, a fake plant he can do much with and some soil cramped up into a corner that he can lie under, which right now, he is doing.

Sarah1228
11-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I would keep the plant if he liked it, he probably felt secure in it. The more hides he has the better. Even if you had to grab him out of the plant for something important, that's ok!

I use a big shoe box to feed my snake in (which he is out growing & will need to find another alternative). But its so nice b/c you can just close the lid and leave them alone for a while...its dark and they feel safe in it!

insomniac
11-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Thank guys ill put him on a 6 day diet. And i removed the plant because he was in there to much and if i wanted to grab him for something important he stressed out because he got stuck inside the plant. I still have some of it but i now have it loose, he can still climb.You should probably leave the plant, he obviously likes it. When my snake is in one of her plants and I need to get her out for something, I just remove the plant from the suction cup, set the plant down and out she comes all on her own once it gets set down =)

atmox
11-29-2010, 01:08 PM
You should probably leave the plant, he obviously likes it. When my snake is in one of her plants and I need to get her out for something, I just remove the plant from the suction cup, set the plant down and out she comes all on her own once it gets set down =)

Agreed put it back in. He probably isn't stuck in it they just hold on to it, mine loosens his grip on it after 5 sec if i grab him.

ZundayXx
11-29-2010, 02:38 PM
@Insomniac, the problem with the plant is it was bolted on with staples ( I bought the cage that way ). I couldn't get it off and it was like a miniature jungle. Ill try finding him something more suitable. The only problem is that my local stores don't sell much of the fake plants things. I'll try going to some conventions to see if i can get something there in the future.

wstphal
11-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Zunday, you can just go to any kind of store that sells fake plants (I don't know what they have in Holland but I am sure there are stores that sell this stuff for making fake plant arrangements) and buy something inexpensive. Cheap is good because if your corn poops on it you will either have to wash it or replace it. You don't need the expensive fake plants they sell at reptile conventions. I buy mine at regular stores when they are on sale for cheap. The snakes don't care if I buy orange flowers or green leaves so I get whatever is cheap and not too ugly to me.

ZundayXx
11-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I went browsing arround some local gardening and flower stores and i just found huge massive plants. Nothing i considered actually usefull. I'll just keep looking wherever i go and buy something nice.

Thanks for the tips everyone :)

Haarstad
11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
You can try feeding him in his viv too, then you don't need to move him at all for the feeding process, i bet the store you got him from fed him in his viv too so maybe he'll be use to it

wstphal
11-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Zunday, I have bought the big ones and chopped them down with a knife or scissors, did you consider that? I spent $5-10 and got pieces of fake plant for about 5 baby vivs that way.

ZundayXx
11-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I've seen some big ones that might be suitable when cutted down. Problem is they cost arround 40-50 bucks ( Euros for me ) and im not exactly planning on spending that much money. I'm already on a quit a low budget. ( Hese got a good viv right now, don't worry, just need a little suitable plant )