PDA

View Full Version : When to give up?

When to give up?

rusticreptiles
12-02-2010, 08:11 AM
I have a clutch of normals that were born 7/14/10. 6 out of the group have been non-feeders. Is that a higher than normal number out of 15? It seemed high to me, but this is my first clutch.

I gave them 3 days in between offering f/t, p/k, live, brained, heads, scented, with frog, lizard, tuna and chicken, in a cup, in a brown bag, in the enclosure, tease feeding and they may have been more that I tried I just can't remember them all now. They have shed three times since hatching but are still very small about 6-8 grams between them all. I have been feeding them adult mouse tails to sustain them for a couple of months. After a week or two I offer a pinky head in a cup to see if they will eat on their own. I've had a couple start taking those recently. But 3 of them just still will not eat on their own. Do I keep on plugging away with they tails until they get big enough that I can force a head down and do that until...??

One of the hatchlings had escaped and I think was surviving on crickets during the 6 weeks he was missing since he had gained two grams and crickets are the only thing that had escaped into our basement. :) (I have a beardie!) He was eating before he escaped, and since he's been recovered (about 2 months ago), he has not touched a pink no matter how it is presented and is losing a bit of weight. Do I offer him crickets?? I thought this was a big "no-no" and would just be counterproductive? But I've had some people tell me to do it. I haven't yet.

Also, would brumation be too hard on these little ones? They are so tiny and I don't know if they would make it, but I can try it if anyone thinks it would work and start offering in the spring. Or I can just keep plugging away with the tails.

One more question...what do you guys do with your headless pink bodies? Feed them to a good feeder? Mine are still in the freezer and I'm scared to thaw them since I'm afraid they will be extra messy and that the snakes might have a hard time eating them since there is no tapered nose to start with. Thank you very much for any help!

Nicole

Nanci
12-02-2010, 08:46 AM
I have no answers for most of that, but go ahead and try crickets on the escapee. Heck, try it on all of them!

Headless pinks can be easily fed to someone who eats. They aren't particularly messy to thaw or feed. If the baby gets too much mouse juice on him, just rinse him under room temp water before putting him away, and rinse out the feeding container. I do it ALL the time.

rusticreptiles
12-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I will serve up the headless pinkies then. I think it's just more revolting to me, I'm sure the snakes could care less. :) Thanks!

Pal-O-Mine
12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I have TINY garters so I have to dice pinkies up pretty small to get them into small enough pieces for them to safely deal with. I can tell you from experience, the snakes don't care! I even think they get to be more rabid eaters if the pinky is messy with blood, guts and whatever all oozing out the corners.

I think its gross but anything for my babies. Good Luck! I feel for you!

Devon

rusticreptiles
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks!
Now just what to do with the ones that won't eat heads or tails on their own...I don't want to give up on them if there is a chance they can make it. I'll see if anyone has ideas about the last three that just won't eat anything on their own. Although I may go get crickets today! LOL.

Pal-O-Mine
12-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Somebody on the garter forum was talking about feeding their snakes chicken hearts. The problem with doing that, IF they accept it, is that hearts are totally lacking in calcium so you would have to supplement it. Anyone else ever done this with any success?????

Devon

wstphal
12-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks!
Now just what to do with the ones that won't eat heads or tails on their own...I don't want to give up on them if there is a chance they can make it. I'll see if anyone has ideas about the last three that just won't eat anything on their own. Although I may go get crickets today! LOL.

Some people have had success with tube feeding high quality ferret food made into a liquid. Tara80 & Kathy Love are 2 people that have done it.

rusticreptiles
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks...I guess I'm more concerned on getting them to eat anything on their own. I can puree pinkies and feed them if I need too, but for how long do you force feed? I don't really want to be doing this for another 2+ months unless I know that they are at some point going to take food on their own. Little buggers.
I've heard that some will only do it for 2-3 feedings to get them started. I've been doing this for a little over 2 months now so don't know if I've done it for too long and now they are just accustomed to being fed by me so they have no interest in doing it on their own. I might be giving them more credit than they deserve. :)