PDA

View Full Version : Odd Partial Shed?

Odd Partial Shed?

OldDetroit
12-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't have pictures, because my camera isn't working right now and she's already in a small plastic tub with some water and paper towels. I was just wondering if it is common for a snake to shed everything in mostly one piece, from neck to tip of tail, but have the top of their head stick. There's a clearly rough spot on her nose where she started getting the shed off. And then there's this ummm...collar? Best word I can think of for it. It sticks straight off the back of her head, about half the length of her head, and stays straight out when she turns her head. It just looks odd. Everything should be fine, just wondering if anyone else had seen this strange helmeted look.

OldDetroit
12-07-2010, 09:59 PM
It's already off. Water and paper towels worked great. Thank you for the sticky post, Nanci.

Christen
12-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I have seen it many times. I almost wonder if it has something to do with the way that they rub cause I have one that does it a lot and I have watched her shed.She does rub her nose but then shoves her neck against the glass so it ends up starting at the neck. Who knows, but as you found out it is usually not a big deal to get it off.

tspuckler
12-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I've noticed that when I heat my house in the Fall/Winter that the forced hot air takes a fair amount of humidity out of the environment. For this reason I think snakes sometimes have a harder time shedding in the colder months of the year - especially babies.