PDA

View Full Version : Sissy Snake

Sissy Snake

LisaWard14
12-08-2010, 07:49 PM
I am having problems feeding my cornsnake. He doesn't want to eat very often, and when he does, he is usually too afraid to do so. I feed him f/t pinkies. By the time I track him down in his cage, get him into his feeding container and stick the long metal tweezers in his face (that he hates) with his mouse, he is completely horrified. I don't know if I should try feeding him inside of his tank, because his tank is quite large for him and he hides most of the time so I doubt he would come out of hiding long enough to find the pinky. I have tried placing the pinky mouse in the container first, and putting him in with it. This method works the best, but he still won't eat often enough to put on some weight and grow. I know that feeding in the tank is bad, because it can cause them to strike, but I think it might give this sissy a bit of a back bone. What do you think?

Dreamsnake
12-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Now all I have is personal experience, but this is what I did with mine. When I first got my two corns, their permanent 10 gallon tanks were not ready, so they lived in their little feeder tanks for a few days. I think the confined space comforted them after the traveling stress. The male snow rode in a dixie cup for a three hour drive home.

How big is the tank/tub? It its too big, he may want confinement.

When you pick him up, just grab him, don't let him run from you. If you get a bite think of it as a good thing, survival instinct.

Give him a moment to calm down after scooping him up, let him explore your hands. You want to impress your hands into his brain. Talk to him too. They may not understand you, but they feel vibrations, and a soft kind voice does wonders for any creature.

Now when you put him in the feeding tank, let him get a whiff of the mouse before stabbing him with it. Feeding a snake is like feeding a baby, sometimes you must toy with him first. I've never used tongs, I fed by hand at first. My snow will take his fuzzie from my fingers since he is a non-sriker, sometimes I let him tug just to see a coil. Touching the dead mouse was freaky at first, but I got over it quickly. I touch raw meat all the time after all.

Reptile are odd critters, so many people think they are primordial killing monsters, but in truth getting them to eat can become such a trial many give up and rehome the snake. I find that getting to know the animal gets the best result. But my python refused his rat last night, it happens.

Thanks for your time.

LisaWard14
12-08-2010, 08:30 PM
His feeding container isn't horribly big, you could probably fit a sandwich and a half in it.. Mine is definitely a non-striker, he rarely forms an 'S' either. He just flees haha. I will try playing around with him and letting him calm down first, and hopefully I can get him interested in the mouse in my hand. Thanks!

sacr3d bl0od
12-08-2010, 08:42 PM
if nothing else works get a doggy box from a chinese restaurant cut up the mouse/pinky put it in there then the snake make sure he/she cant get out make sure its arm and let it sit for 30 min

Dreamsnake
12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Yes, I forgot to advise you to cut the pink. The sent of blood works for my corns. I haven't cut in a while because I haven't had an issue with them.

danielle
12-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Sounds like your snake is shy and likes it's privacy. I would thaw a pink, stab it a few times, and put it in his cage overnight covering him, and not peeking at all. Do this right before you go to bed and don't check again until the next morning. Many snakes do not strike their food so it's not weird, nor does it make him a sissy;)