PDA

View Full Version : Found Snake- Half dead!

Found Snake- Half dead!

Naagas
12-12-2010, 05:58 PM
While holding one of my yearling corns three weeks ago, she managed to get out of my hands and into the bowls of my couch.
I couldn't find her, so I put out water, a nice, warm f/t mouse, and a heat pad with a hide on it.
I hadn't seen any hint of her since then.

Then, today I found her on the other end of the room, listless and looking pretty near death.

She was in the unheated basement, where I keep my snakes. It hasn't been really cold here, but I'm sure that at night it gets down into the 20's and there have been a few days where it was around 0. (Fahrenheit).

She isn't moving much, and is unresponsive. I've put her in a small container with water and heat, she hasn't moved since I've put her in the container.

Any advice? Any chance she will pull through?

Should I keep her on the warm side or the cool side? Anything I ought to look for? Do? I feel so helpless.

ghosthousecorns
12-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Just wait and let nature take its course. If she had been in freezing temps for long she would probably be dead, she is more likely in a brumation-like, torpid state. I would just put her in her viv and see if the temp change snaps her out of it.

Nanci
12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I would warm her up gradually, not put her in the warmest spot. After she is room temp, I would soak her in room temp water, but wath her to make sure she is okay.

Naagas
12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
What does a snake look/act like in a brumation state?

Lennycorn
12-12-2010, 06:07 PM
If you didn't seen any injures I would let be. Let her warm up (mid 80's) for the next few days undisturbed. Then try handling her and check again for injuries.
If she seems fine and more alert you could try to feed her a small meal.

Naagas
12-12-2010, 06:11 PM
She has died. Maybe she was already dead.
I feel terrible.
:(

Naagas
12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Thank you for the quick responses.

Nanci
12-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry. But are you sure she is dead? I'd let her warm up, just in case.

Dreamsnake
12-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Try the advice unless she's stiff. I've had a snake die in my hands it is a hard thing to get over. These things do happen; they can get away from you so quickly. One moment they're in your hands the next gone. Is there anyway you can keep their room warmer if another gets out in the future, or at least move them to a different room for the winter? Take care of yourself and the rest. Peace be with your little one.

Naagas
12-13-2010, 12:05 AM
She went stiff and there was some lividity. She was a snow, so it was visible.

I'm not sure why she didn't go for the mice, water, heat, or hides I left out...
and I'll never know for sure where she was. Maybe she got stuck within the couch.

I feel horrible because she didn't even want to be held. I was trying to get her acclimated to being held, though... and then she was gone in a blink.

I didn't expect to be so upset. Poor little Dyvalya, the problem child. She had escaped multiple times, had problems eating, and she always rattled and attempted to bite me (sometimes succeeding.) Hopefully she is more at peace now.

Johan13
12-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Poor girl. You did the best you could