PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep your snake in??

What do you keep your snake in??

CK2430
06-14-2002, 12:43 AM
these are my new rubbermade cages (kinda new had them about 2 weeks now) but they work really good and my snakes like them tell me what u think:) http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=CK2434&album_id=72541&image_id=27&courtesy=1

Simon
06-14-2002, 02:24 AM
I used tanks before.

I have 5 20 Gallon Tanks, 1 10 gallon tanks, and 2 50 gallon tanks

Right now I build myself a rack system and has 20 tubs in it right now. Still could add more to the rack but too lazy to put the boards in since I don't have enough snakes (yet, planning on getting around 6-8 more during the expo on the 23rd)

They are all in Sterilite 28 Quarts tubs (Thanks to Jim who got them for me)

CornsnakeKeeper
06-14-2002, 06:57 AM
I also use tanks and so far, I have 3 twenty gallon long tanks and a 40 gallon tank.

Simon, how many corns do you have and what kinds? LOL I'd like to see your updated list.

Simon
06-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Well as of now, I have 20 in total and 16 of them are with me in London Ontario, and 4 of them are with my very good friend in Vancouver who wouldn't want to give me my 4 corns back....

So here is the little list:
1.0 Miami ( Pet Shop in York Dale Mall in Toronto)
0.1 Hypo (From Andy in US)
1.0 Pink Snow (Not toally sure about this, he was suppose to be a female too.....From Pet shop in London)
1.1 Candy Cane (From Kathy Love)
1.1 Frosted Creamsicles (From Mississagua Expo)
1.1 Amel (Both from Pet shop in London)
1.3 Lavenders (From Rich Zuchowski)
1.2 Milk Snake Phase (From Rich Zuchowski)
1.1 Ghost (not here in London, from a person in US)
1.1 Bloodred (also not here in London, also from a person in US)

but then on the 23rd I am planning to buy more snakes, so I'll update my list later on after I finish shopping on the 23rd.... planning on getting around 6 or more....hahah

ROACHMAN
06-14-2002, 08:09 PM
here is my setup currently as you guys can see i NEED a rack system ..simon i have 21 snakes now ..majour mission to keep all the cages clean hey ;)

joe clark
06-15-2002, 12:06 AM
http://gallery.kingsnake.com/data/141916-med.jpg http://gallery.kingsnake.com/data/1419chestank-med.jpg

The top pic is my current rack system. Holds 12 adults. I am about to build another that takes better advantage of vertical space and holds 16 adults. On top of the rack are 'folding top' rubbermaids; used for hatchlings through yearlings. Next to those under the towels is my incubator.

The bottom pic is a 55 gallon setup, complete with 'jungle gym', for a BIG (5.5 foot) amel male. I have had its inhabitant, Chester, the longest, so he has the priviledge of a more spacious enclosure. I can sit for hours and watch 'the big fella' cruise his branches.:)

I have a couple other style enclosures, but no pics. Sorry.:(
joe clark

Simon
06-15-2002, 03:40 AM
Hey Roachman,
how long does it take you to clean all those tanks? Just wondering. Also when the snakes grow up, they'll need more space......you'll definately need a rack system!

Joe,
Finally, I can see how you keep your snakes now. I don't think that you'll need a new rack system. I think that you should ship them to me or just wait until I come and pick all of them up for you and save you money too.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

ROACHMAN
06-15-2002, 04:30 AM
the cleaning procedure takes QUITE a while ....most of the saturday morning...:mad: thats why i need a rac system as well :-)

ROACHMAN
06-15-2002, 04:39 AM
i am planning to build BIG cages like the top one (600 cm x 600cm x 3 m[donno the feet and inches]), on the one side and then build in a rack system for the smaller snakes....but i move them up in life :-) see they start off in the tiny cages a hatchlings , then move up to the bigger cages as teenagers , and then as adults i will keep them in the huge cages ....actually i want to build a whole room for them with a rack system and washing system with jets and flows out of the cages .some underfloor heating wont hurt either for the winter months (one day), so if any of you have developed such a system lemme know ....(washing is the one job i hate about the cages ;)

These cages is not too heavy like the aquariums or have sharp corners that the critters LOVE so much so it is not that much of a mission as the aquariums was, but still takes quite the while

CornsnakeKeeper
06-15-2002, 10:41 AM
How can a rack system provide the corns with extra space as they mature? Shoeboxes aren't very big!

Simon
06-15-2002, 11:05 AM
Roachman,
I totally understand that cleaning the cages take a heck a lot of time. I have 8 and man.....it takes me ages to clean those.....for tubs....all I need to do is to take them out and then rub a bit and then soak them....takes me less than an hour to finish all 24 tubs....

CornsnakeKeeper: what Roachman meant was buying bigger tubs. Like 28 Quarts tubs that are 23 1/4 x 17 x 6 inches big. Shoeboxes are just one of many sizes.

CornsnakeKeeper
06-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Simon
Just wondering. Also when the snakes grow up, they'll need more space......you'll definately need a rack system!

That's what I was referring to. I definately would find it more fair to the snakes to keep them in the critter-cages like he does, rather than tiny little racks....IMHO.

joe clark
06-15-2002, 04:02 PM
I don't feel the shoeboxes are too cramped for adult corns. The rubbermaids I use in my rack are 22X15X9. Minus a few vertical inches, they are the same size as an average 20 gallon glass tank. Every caresheet I've read has stated adults can be kept 'comfortably' in a 20 gallon. I also have smaller branch arrangements for the rack tubs to take advantage of the 9" of vertical space.
My adults are all active, eager feeders & breeders regardless of the tub size. IMHO, the branch arrangements 'stimulate' their curiosity and allow them to be more active. The 'critter cages' have the same floor space as my tubs, but without branches the vertical space goes to waste.
My corns eat & breed. Their whole point of existing is to find food, grow to breeding size, and pass on their genes to the next generation. I feel I meet these requirements. This is not a 'rant.' My apologies if it comes across as a rant.
joe clark

louis
06-15-2002, 11:14 PM
I am reluctant to post this because i really should patent it or something. But why don't you guys take the rubber mades and put that turf stuff in them and cement (strongly) them and all they things in the viv. and then line them all up outside and put a lil bit of bleach in them and just douse them and let it set for about 5 minutes and them pour the water out and then let them dry and back on the rack they go in about 20 minutes!!

Was all that 1 sentence?

Snakebite001
06-16-2002, 01:09 PM
a tank believe it or not..
wow i have only one snake,....well maybe to ill have to see. but in the pics some people have 21+!!

:)

BeniciaBrian
06-17-2002, 05:14 PM
I noticed in the picture of your rack system that the plastic tubs hang down from the bottom of the shelf. Where did you get the slides that mount to the bottom of the shelf? Are they ready made somewhere or did you make them yourself?
I am going to do the same thing and make the slides removable so as my corns grow I can buy larger tubs and change the position of the sides to fit the larger tubs.
What do you use for heating?
Thanks

SPJ
08-08-2002, 05:19 PM
Neodesha cages. Nothing can escape from them and they are relatively inexpensive. I also have a BARR's cage.