PDA

View Full Version : Sweet girl back and in bad shape

Sweet girl back and in bad shape

crusher372
12-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Well long story short, we moved into a smaller area and had to part with our corn "Fancy". Sent her to a place we thought she would be well cared for with the request that if she was no longer wanted that she please be returned. Well we got a surprise knock on the door last night with snake in hand and an apology for not caring for her as we had expected. We took her to the table and began checking her out and there are some areas of concern. Looks like a pretty good injury maybe a month old or so with sveral missing scales and some possible rot. She is eating and drinking well. She was two weeks behind on her feeding so against my better judgement I went ahead and fed her an hour after receiving her. She swallowed a large mouse down instantly and drank a huge ammount of water. I am thinking she was more thirtsy than anything. I have snapped a few pics of her side where the most damage seems to be. Pics are not the best but she is very sensitive right now and aggressive to the touch. I was told this was from a live feed gone bad. Please offer any advice. Right now my plan is to watch her close and offer a room temp bath every few days. She is very active so thats a good sign.

1st pic is her full body. Wound is on the upper half about 10 inches from head.

2nd pic is a close up as best I can get right now.

baitman
12-14-2010, 02:21 PM
should be good as new after a couple of sheds.........

i hate this kind of thing, some people really anger me....

Dreamsnake
12-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Is it scale rot or a burn?

Ares2010
12-14-2010, 04:45 PM
poor baby. Well, now she's back with someone who will take proper care of her.

Aiwass
12-14-2010, 05:27 PM
I would take the snake to a vet if the problem gets worse, especially if it is scale rot

Lennycorn
12-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I haven't deal with scale rot so I'm not sure what you have.
Can you take some more pictures of the wounded area.

VickyChaiTea
12-14-2010, 05:47 PM
It looks like scale rot to me, and if the snake was injured by live feeding then any injuries it has may be infected. I would personally take the snake to a vet just to be safe.

crusher372
12-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Here are a couple more pics. It looks worse as far as color because of her natural yellow banding. The more I look at it the more it looks like an injury and then possible burn from the wounded area. He apparently wasn't using the thermostat I provided because "the probe wouldn't stay put". I am so upset. Looks like I will wait for at least one more day for her to digest the mouse from last night and take her in on Thurs or Friday. Keep the suggestions coming. I will say that when the wounded area is stretched a little it looks pretty good. When its compressed and bunched up it looks worse than it may actually be.

crusher372
12-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Also just informed that he kept a humid hide (ie a plastic bin with wet paper towels in it) constantly. We are in Texas with 80% humidity all the time so its just not necessary. First two years of her life with us and no humid hide she never once had a bad shed or issue at all. Thinking she has been exposed to too much humidity and a filthy tank.

VickyChaiTea
12-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Poor baby. :C

oneirogenesis
12-15-2010, 08:41 AM
I am so sorry to see your beautiful snake in this condition! Thankfully she's back in your hands and if she has an appetite that is probably a good sign. If I were you I'd set her up on paper towels or something similar to prevent substrate getting caught in her bad scales as she tries to heal, and keep her viv super clean and dry. A smaller water dish might be a good idea if she does have scale rot to prevent her from soaking and to keep the humidity levels down. Hopefully she'll shed soon and start recovering a bit on her own.

I think she's going to need treatment for that wound, especially if she has scale rot to exacerbate it, so a vet is definitely what you need. I have read of keepers using Neosporin (without the painkilling ingredient!) to treat burns/wounds/rot, but I can't advocate for anything as I'm not a vet or an expert.

Ares2010
12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
A good breeder told me that he uses athletes foot cream to treat scale rot and it works. Still, a visit to the vet is the best. Again, all the best.. and I am happy she is back with you and is being taken care of. Poor baby