PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning

Cleaning

sonic1966
06-14-2002, 01:57 AM
:( Morning all......how often should I clean my corns (peace & harmony) tank out. They're housed in a 36x12x12 aquarium tank with newspaper on the bottom,tree log, waterbowl & an old shoebox as a hide. Also do I need more than 1 hide with the 2 corns????????????????:confused:

Simon
06-14-2002, 02:35 AM
Morning to you too.....(well it's 3:00am right now...so I guess you could say morning too...)

I'd say a min of once a month. Using bleach or anything that cleans well. Water bowl, I personally wash them every other day, and give them fresh water every day. Adding another hide in there would be good since you side that they are housed together. So if one does stress the other each one of them can have a hide if they want. (But most properly this wouldn't happen.....they like the temperature of one hide better)

Just a little note, keeping corn snakes together isn't that good. Two corn snakes together can stress one or the other or both of them into not eating and cause death later on. Two males can fight, one male and one female could lead to too early of breeding, and two females can stress each other out. Also canabilisum could occur. Just a little suggestion.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Hope H
06-14-2002, 06:05 AM
I agree with Simon, I would never house two together. Another hide would be important too. I "scoup" mine as soon as they potty, and I clean their cages completely with bleach once a month. Just make sure you get all the smell of the bleach out. I wash the whole tank with bleach and then let it soak for 15 minutes. Then I rinse it continually untill there is no smell at all. Good luck!

Kel
06-15-2002, 11:33 AM
Hello all ! My first proper post on this forum, here goes...

I've kept groups of two and three together successfully from hatchlings. One pair has been together all of their 15 years, although I had to separate the male this summer, to give the female a break after she had a rough time laying. I only keep one male per viv in case of fights and I always feed separately.

I know plenty of people don't recommend keeping Corns together, but I've never had any problems apart from this summer. Bill & Kathy Love's Corn Snake Manual describes cannibalism as "extremely rare", although it can happen.

Cheers
Kel

ERJ
06-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Personally i would never take the tiny risk but i think if they were more a less the same sixe and hopefully female and female (unless trying to breed) as i don't know how bad the fighting could be. if there was say a space/financial problem it would be much better. But its OK if the factors i've mentioned (and more) are fine. my opinion though.

B-J@y
06-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Ive got 2 corns together! male/female but when ive got more room i will get two more tanks! and keep the corns seperate!