PDA

View Full Version : NEEDS HELP ! the mouse attacked my snake !

NEEDS HELP ! the mouse attacked my snake !

bambam1313
12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
i always feed my snake live mice, due to the fact she won't eat frozen or thawed..
the mouse i bought for her this time was savage .. my girl killed the mouse but the snake latched onto the mouses mouth and the mouse put teeth marks in my snake and now shes bleedinh a bit , shes still eating the mouse right now ..
but i dont kno what to do .. help please ! She's 5 years old and never had this problem before ..
is there anything i can use!!

please can anybody help me ..

Lennycorn
12-19-2010, 11:38 AM
i always feed my snake live mice, due to the fact she won't eat frozen or thawed..
the mouse i bought for her this time was savage .. my girl killed the mouse but the snake latched onto the mouses mouth and the mouse put teeth marks in my snake and now shes bleedinh a bit , shes still eating the mouse right now ..
but i dont kno what to do .. help please ! She's 5 years old and never had this problem before ..
is there anything i can use!!

please can anybody help me ..

Yes, next time sever P/K and in two day put a little neosporin on the bites.

Sarah1228
12-19-2010, 11:40 AM
....And do what ever you can to convert your snake to F/T or pre-killed so this doesn't happen again!

atmox
12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
....And do what ever you can to convert your snake to F/T or pre-killed so this doesn't happen again!

Agreed, i notice many people give up too soon on converting to pre-killed or F/T. A snake can easily go a few weeks without food and if it after a week or 3 still doesn't accept the pre-killed then give a live mouse and try all over again after 2 weeks or so feeding live. This is how i would do it, so it could be a wrong way.

bambam1313
12-19-2010, 12:04 PM
The mouse got her right between her eye and nostrel, she seems okay but she's more skiddish .. I'm going to pick up the cream now, so I can put it onb hjer in a few days... She finished eatting and I put her back in her viv, she let me look at the wound, its not to bad but enough to draw the blood. When I just left my house she was up drinking out of her water dish, is there anything I can do to clean the bit of blood of until I put the cream on in a few days...?

bambam1313
12-19-2010, 12:07 PM
And well my snake eats a far size mouse once every two weeks, she won't eat once a week .. Is that normal?

alan
12-19-2010, 12:22 PM
It depends on the snake, if your snake is maintaining weight on that feeding schedule then it's normal for her. My snake gets fed every 2 weeks. I got her at about 6-7 years of age, eating once a week. On that schedule she eventually started getting too round. I extended it to 10-11 days at first and she looked a lot better. I can't really say how long, but it took more than a few months.
I have had to space them out a little more as she got older (and longer!). Now it's about two weeks, and others with older snakes have posted the same. Pay attention to the snake. I noticed it when her sides looked more rounded, they should be fairly square. I've seen it posted that a cross-section of their body should have the shape of a slice of bread, that's pretty accurate from what I see.
-Disclaimer- I am NOT recommending that you cut your snake in half to check the shape! ;)

Naagas
12-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Ouch! Poor snake! Maybe this will help the snake change its mind about f/t?? ;-) I would keep the wound clean using saline until you get the cream. You can make your own by combining salt and water. It is gentle and won't dry out the wound.

bambam1313
12-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Ya.. I left her alone and came back an hour later to just check on her, she seems perfectly fin e the cut looks like its closed back over and a lil bit of dried blood but other then that she's perfect ! I gotta leave her be now for a couple days anyways, cuz where she just ate, so I'm gonna just keep an eye on her

atmox
12-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I left her alone and came back an hour later to just check on her

Why did u do that?? Feeding live has enough risks with somebody watching!

bambam1313
12-19-2010, 03:16 PM
I watches her when she eats, I mean I left her alone after she ate and , and checked on her just then cuz I ran to pet store ! She seems to be bk

atmox
12-19-2010, 03:17 PM
I watches her when she eats, I mean I left her alone after she ate and , and checked on her just then cuz I ran to pet store ! She seems to be bk

ooh my fault

baitman
12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Get a long pair of forceps and feed her fresh killed,use the forceps to make the dead mouse move, the movement and the fact it will still be warm will be enough to entice a strike......

RobbiesCornField
12-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Take out the water bowl a full day before feeding. Warm up a f/t mouse. Leave it DRIPPING wet when you offer it. After she eats, give her back the water bowl.

VickyChaiTea
12-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Just make sure to watch the wound like a hawk so it doesn't get infected. That's what you really have to worry about at this point.

There are tons of things you can try to convert a snake to f/t. You can:
Scent the mouse with chicken broth
Make the mouse extremely hot
Dangle the mouse
Slit the mouse
Try what Robbie said

Dorgrim
12-19-2010, 11:54 PM
aw poor snake! I agree , any antiseptic NON ALCOHOL THOUGH! should work to keep infection away,and watch the wound. cold blooded animals heal much slower than other kinds of animals and might need a little extra care or humidity to get a shed off over the scab.

also as far as switching to f/t i just switched over a snake who refused to let me watch her eat, eat live, eat f/t ANYTHING
i got him to take two live meals and after 4 months! (a long time to wait!) was able to get the snake to switch. of course there were a few meal in between but 7-8 weeks without food for a snake over 3 years old is nothing and trust me, with a little work and a lot of patience on your part you can do it :) I had to wait an hour some times with a mouse in tongs before he would even investigate but you can do it!

also, let us know how the little trooper does! :)

Allalaskan
12-29-2010, 01:51 AM
aw poor snake! I agree , any antiseptic NON ALCOHOL THOUGH! should work to keep infection away,and watch the wound. cold blooded animals heal much slower than other kinds of animals and might need a little extra care or humidity to get a shed off over the scab.

also as far as switching to f/t i just switched over a snake who refused to let me watch her eat, eat live, eat f/t ANYTHING
i got him to take two live meals and after 4 months! (a long time to wait!) was able to get the snake to switch. of course there were a few meal in between but 7-8 weeks without food for a snake over 3 years old is nothing and trust me, with a little work and a lot of patience on your part you can do it :) I had to wait an hour some times with a mouse in tongs before he would even investigate but you can do it!

also, let us know how the little trooper does! :)

My new snake wont let me watch him. I put him in his tub turn all the lights off and sit real still and I swear if He could talk he would say "Are you kidding me? I can still see you" lol. He just tryes to leave his tub. But once I close the lid within a min or two both times I have fed him I can hear him strike and coil up the mouse. He has been fed nothing but live so I need to break him of it but I just got him a little over a week ago so I plan on waiting another week or two then trying to switch him over. I dont want to stress him out to much, new home, new owner and then his food changing.....I didnt want to change to much right off the bat. But I figured one or 2 more live feedings then Im ganna try buying a live mouse killing it then feeding it to him and see if he will take it.

Any way I got off point, My point being that My snake will not even touch the mouse if I am watching, I have to drop it in and put the lid on the Rubbermade toat and let him be and usually within a few mins I can hear him strike and coil it, Then after he thinks its dead he backs off for like 5 mins then eats it. He has done this both times (Last night and last Tuesday) I have fed him. Lucky for me after he feeds hes not strike happy lol.

VickyChaiTea
12-29-2010, 03:09 AM
Try feeding f/t or freshly killed in a box he can't see through, like a cardboard one.

baitman
12-29-2010, 05:53 AM
many moons ago i was given an adult snow that would only eat live, i decided to take him and try to convert him to dead feeds, here is how i did it....

I didnt feed for 2 weeks then took a live mouse and killed it, while it was still warm i place the snow in a shoe box and then(using tongs) held the mouse and showed it to the snake,while he was flicking his tongue i moved the mouse in short jerky movements, the snake struck and coiled then left the mouse.

A week later did the same thing but this time the mouse was eaten, after a few more feeds in this manner the snow would take the mouse straight away as long as it was warm.

after about 3 months of feeding like this i returned the snow to its prior owner with the instructions on how to feed fresh killed prey.

not saying it would work in EVERY case, but it worked with this one......

MyLittleGuyCyrus
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi! Sorry about your snakey! Hope it is doing better. You said he won't eat forzen or thawed...I am assuming you are serving him warm/hot. Cyrus will not eat the mouse unless it is HOT......he used to go with warm, but now my spoiled boy likes it hot or he won't touch it. Maybe you need to try that for your guy! Good Luck!

quixoft
12-31-2010, 06:44 PM
One of mine refused FT/PK and would only eat live. I tried for months to convert and what finally worked was when I fed two much smaller mice. The first I gave live to get her in a frenzy and the second one was FT.

She took the FT immediately and I'm assuming it's because she was in a frenzy from the first live mouse. After doing that a couple times, she is now solely on FT and has been ever since.

Temerairecorns
01-06-2011, 06:20 AM
thump the mouse. stun it before you feed it. or see if shill eat it if it was killed just before you feed her

bambam1313
01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
i was told now to stun the mice due to if they wake up durning the snake attacking it it can cause damage ...

Lennycorn
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
i was told now to stun the mice due to if they wake up durning the snake attacking it it can cause damage ...

I must be reading this wrong!!

Can you restate that!!!

susang
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
I must be reading this wrong!!

Can you restate that!!!

shure ef da mice wake up durin snake attack they might get hurt, da mice
the devil makes me do this

Lennycorn
01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
shure ef da mice wake up durin snake attack they might get hurt, da mice
the devil makes me do this

Oh...OK, that explains it now. LOL
So ya got to stun it right so it won't cause damage as the snake is attacking it. LOL

susang
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Oh...OK, that explains it now. LOL
So ya got to stun it right so it won't cause damage as the snake is attacking it. LOL

well ya duh ga how rude, lol

Dreamsnake
01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
A stunned constricted mouse is hardly a threat for a snake. If you stun the mouse and the snake still hasn't moved as the mouse twitches away, hit the mouse again or put up the snake and try again later. A mouse isn't very strong, a quick smack on the head is all they need.