PDA

View Full Version : Cuts in the prey

Cuts in the prey

AlexEarl
12-20-2010, 12:31 PM
im not sure if this has been posted here before, if it has im sorry for posting it again. i found this study through google some how on the effects of cutting a pinky. i always thought it just helped them digest the pinky easier but according to this study it also helps them grow

http://www..com/forum/showthread.php?t=9288

hopefully this does work as i would like my midget snake to grow :)

Nanci
12-20-2010, 12:38 PM
That is kind of the whole point of slitting- promoting a faster growth rate!

Sarah1228
12-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I believe it helps aid in digestion, now growing bigger and faster....maybe not?

Pinkies aren't very nutritional but help smaller snakes slowly grow to where they are able to step up to the next level on larger prey.

As soon as you start feeding fuzzies and hoppers (prey with more bone, fat, and meat) your snake will start growing like crazy. The older/bigger prey item the more nutritional value it has.

Don't worry your little midget will sprout soon enough!!

Sarah1228
12-20-2010, 12:50 PM
***Now cuts in larger prey i'm sure would make it grow faster, but not so much with pinkies.

AlexEarl
12-20-2010, 12:54 PM
haha i never knew that was the reason, i always thought it just helped them digest it quicker

atmox
12-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Oooh i thought it was only for the non-feeders, so it would make the prey more attractive. Is this power feeding or a good idea for all corns? If it's a good idea i don't mind cutting into the fuzzies mine is on atm.

Sarah1228
12-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Oooh i thought it was only for the non-feeders, so it would make the prey more attractive. Is this power feeding or a good idea for all corns? If it's a good idea i don't mind cutting into the fuzzies mine is on atm.

Most people don't condone it b/c it's the same idea as power feeding. Why make your snake grow at a faster rate? So that in turn will make your snakes life span shorter....that's what I've heard.

LoL

:argue:

atmox
12-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Most people don't condone it b/c it's the same idea as power feeding. Why make your snake grow at a faster rate? So that in turn will make your snakes life span shorter....that's what I've heard.

LoL

Haha so it's a big no no. Just was wondering, maybe it could be healthier for the snake for all i know. I was thinking of it as grow better not faster, because i didn't suspect something that would help digestion could be a bad thing. You're right on the massive grow burst after they switch to fuzzies, he grew almost nothing till i switched him to fuzzies and now he's growing fast. =D

Sarah1228
12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Haha so it's a big no no. Just was wondering, maybe it could be healthier for the snake for all i know. I was thinking of it as grow better not faster, because i didn't suspect something that would help digestion could be a bad thing. You're right on the massive grow burst after they switch to fuzzies, he grew almost nothing till i switched him to fuzzies and now he's growing fast. =D

Its a big argument between a lot of people....so who's to tell?

I'm sure snakes in the wild prey on wounded animals?

A lot of times slits in the prey help for better digestion for non-feeders and snakes that have regurged on the feed before....so it's like saying if your snake is healthy and eating right why try and fix something that is not broken?:bird:

Tinkerbeller87
12-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Well, I cut slits into all my mice, always have. I don't think it's like power-feeding. It aids in digestion and I think maybe makes it taste better? lol. That is why I do it.

atmox
12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Its a big argument between a lot of people....so who's to tell?

I'm sure snakes in the wild prey on wounded animals?

A lot of times slits in the prey help for better digestion for non-feeders and snakes that have regurged on the feed before....so it's like saying if your snake is healthy and eating right why try and fix something that is not broken?:bird:

Good point! So i'll just continue with what i knew and was doing, give undamaged mice and hold back cutting mice for problem eaters.

Sarah1228
12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Well, I cut slits into all my mice, always have. I don't think it's like power-feeding. It aids in digestion and I think maybe makes it taste better? lol. That is why I do it.

Yeah, it's just a big debate between so many people I think....:argue:

I sometimes do it too, like when I move up in prey size. I've noticed his little snakie instincts kick in when he sniffs out some blood lol. :cheers:

Nanci
12-20-2010, 01:55 PM
It's not the same as power feeding. Power feeding is feeding the snake as fast as he can digest, for example, feeding hatchlings on a two or three day schedule. Slitting merely promotes easier digestion of the prey. In the study, the only variable was the number of slits, not the frequency of feeding or the prey size.

I have a pair of yearlings that came to me this fall. They were raised by someone not very familiar with snakes, who was given the instructions "feed them as much as they will eat, when they are hungry" or something like that. They weigh 300 grams! That is power feeding.

Nanci
12-20-2010, 01:57 PM

LoL

Let's see your data that supports either of those things.

Sarah1228
12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Let's see your data that supports either of those things.

I've searched it on these forums along with asking people who own snakes. It's a big debate that I've come across and don't have the time to write down every single comment on this matter...Hence why I've said the word "debate" and I've said "heard from others." People will raise their snakes how ever they want. I don't think you hear me saying go and do, it or not to do it....Just saying....

atmox
12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
It's not the same as power feeding. Power feeding is feeding the snake as fast as he can digest, for example, feeding hatchlings on a two or three day schedule. Slitting merely promotes easier digestion of the prey. In the study, the only variable was the number of slits, not the frequency of feeding or the prey size.

I have a pair of yearlings that came to me this fall. They were raised by someone not very familiar with snakes, who was given the instructions "feed them as much as they will eat, when they are hungry" or something like that. They weigh 300 grams! That is power feeding.

Okay, now i'm confused..

Nanci
12-20-2010, 02:05 PM
The paragraph explains why slitting isn't power feeding.

The second paragraph gives an example of the growth rate of power-fed animals.

I don't believe slitting is controversial, or a "big debate." An example of controversial husbandry would be cohabitation, or feeding live. Slitting is something that is beneficial to the growth rate of the snake, that people either make time for, or don't bother. The study was performed by a veterinarian. No snakes were harmed by consumi9ng slit prey.

Sarah1228
12-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Whether its power feeding or slitting mice....some people see them as the same thing....making your snake grow faster then it "naturally" should.

Nanci
12-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Well, you can't really compare the diet of a captive animal to its wild counterpart. In the wild, a hatchling cornsnake would be eating as much as it could, as often as it could, going hunting again the minute it was done digesting.

Tinkerbeller87
12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Okay, now i'm confused..

I could understand how you would be. It will not harm your snake if you do or don't cut slits in the mice. Some people do and some don't. Keep it up to your personal preference. You read why I like to and you also read Nanci's comment on this not being power feeding. As for Sarah, I'm not really sure what she does or why? But that's ok, I'm not condeming her for that or saying she is wrong. Maybe just misinformed on the cutting prey thing.

Anyway, my point is either cutting or not will not harm your snake.

Sarah1228
12-20-2010, 02:16 PM
All I'm saying is I've know some people to do it (Like Tinkerbeller & Myself) and others don't b/c they considered in the same field as "power feeding" (making a snake grow faster then it should "naturally" causing a shorter life span) so I've read and heard via conversation.

If I thought or knew it was harmful...I wouldn't be doing it. But other people think it is. Like Tinkerbeller said & how I've said before, people will raise their snakes how they see fit and what ever their preference is.

atmox
12-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I could understand how you would be. It will not harm your snake if you do or don't cut slits in the mice. Some people do and some don't. Keep it up to your personal preference. You read why I like to and you also read Nanci's comment on this not being power feeding. As for Sarah, I'm not really sure what she does or why? But that's ok, I'm not condeming her for that or saying she is wrong. Maybe just misinformed on the cutting prey thing.

Anyway, my point is either cutting or not will not harm your snake.

Okay thanks for clearing that up for me =D

All I'm saying is I've know some people to do it (Like Tinkerbeller & Myself) and others don't b/c they considered in the same field as "power feeding" (making a snake grow faster then it should "naturally" causing a shorter life span) so I've read and heard via conversation.

If I thought or knew it was harmful...I wouldn't be doing it. But other people think it is. Like Tinkerbeller said & how I've said before, people will raise their snakes how they see fit and what ever their preference is.

Okay, i probably will steal your idea of making cuts for when he's moving up to the next size mice.

Sarah1228
12-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Btw Atmox, I looooooooooooooooooove your signature! It's awesome!!! hahaha I just saw it now :)

atmox
12-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Btw Atmox, I looooooooooooooooooove your signature! It's awesome!!! hahaha I just saw it now :)

hahahahaha thank you, i actually do that in the reptile store xD

AlexEarl
12-20-2010, 09:06 PM
lol i didnt expect this thread to start a debate, my personnel opinion is that the quicker the snake digests the food the longer the break it has till its next feed so in turn i dont see it as power feeding as it can offer a rest to a snake before its next meal

MysticExotics
12-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I agree with Nanci, that it is not powerfeeding, when you slit the pinky (or older prey).
It allows the snake to digest easier, & yes, babies do grow faster, because they are getting more nutrients from the prey. I do this with all of my babies, after talking a bit with Connie Hurley. The skin of the pinkie is pretty tough, so feeding them without the slits means they likely do not get as much nutrition as they would if you slit the prey.

It's not power feeding, because they are not getting fed any more frequently, they're just absorbing the nutrients better, hence growing faster. IMO, why would you want to "hinder" the growth of the babies, by not slitting the prey? Babies normally don't eat pinkies in the wild, which is why some start off refusing to eat pinkies.

jld333
12-20-2010, 11:00 PM
I have been slitting my mice since day one. My male okee is 17 mths and weighs 310 grams and is about 44 inches. He has never had a regurge, knock on wood. I do not consider this power feeding. He gets fed every 7 days. He gets fed mice ranging from 20g -25g. Just my $.02.

darth-hayzer
12-21-2010, 12:10 AM
I have been slitting my mice from day one , too ! So far so good ! And I will continue to slit my mice .

AlexEarl
12-21-2010, 03:29 PM
iv just tried the link and it doesnt work (it keeps changing it when i try to post it)

if anyone is interested in looking at this experiment go to this link:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=cuts+in+pinkys+experiment#hl=en&sa=X&ei=Zg0RTby8OIqEhQfqk8S3Dg&ved=0CBgQBSgA&q=cuts+in+pinky's+experiment&spell=1&fp=1cccc688c869882c

and then click the first option (Feeding experiment - Pinky skin cutting - the source)

and then click the link in there and it will download the file for you (hopefully)

Nanci
12-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Here's a tiny url (http://tinyurl.com/23newp4).