PDA

View Full Version : Help what is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help what is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chad27
12-21-2010, 03:44 PM
I noticed this spot on my one of my guys. I thought burn at first but the temps are normal. I have no idea.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg44/michelle25k/bobsc.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg44/michelle25k/bobsc2.jpg

baitman
12-21-2010, 04:00 PM
looks like a bit of scale rot maybe or mite......

Old_School
12-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Looks like scale rot.

chad27
12-21-2010, 04:16 PM
If scale rot how to treat? I know the tubs stay super. Clean.

Tinkerbeller87
12-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Looks like a little scale rot to me too.

When one of my corns got scale rot I did dilute warm water betadine soaks and let dry then applied tripple antibiotic ointment twice daily, within the next shed it was gone!

bitsy
12-21-2010, 04:25 PM
If scale rot how to treat? I know the tubs stay super. Clean.
The tank needs to be relatively dry as scale rot is encouraged by warm damp conditions. Go down to a basic setup - newspaper substrate and washable/disposable hides. No plastic foliage, bark hides or branches as they're difficult to keep properly clean. Clean tank, water bowl and all fittings every other day with reptile-safe antibacterial cleaner. You could use a smaller water bowl than usual to keep the humidity down and make sure it's on the cool side. Wipe the snake down every day with reptile-safe disinfectant - in the UK we have Tamodine.

Scale rot is caused by bacteria, so you need to treat for a while before you can be sure you've sorted it. Looks like you caught it early though, so shouldn't take too long to deal with. Expect accelerated sheds to clear it.

When you go back to the normal setup, make sure that anything like bark hides or branches are thoroughly disinfected first, otherwise the whole cycle could start again.

chad27
12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will try to find something. For scale. Rot

zorro
12-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi Chad,
I agree with the others, the best way to treat scale rot is with an over the counter "athletes foot" cream. Rub a little on the area twice a day for a couple of days until it's gone. It should go quick.
John

chad27
12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
The foot cream will work? It treats fungus

Tinkerbeller87
12-21-2010, 04:58 PM
If it is fungal in origin then yes, if it is bacterial then no. I used the betadine because it kills both and then the antibiotic cream just in case. Up to you what you want to try.

zorro
12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
The foot cream will work? It treats fungus

Yes, that's what Athletes Foot is, a fungus. Works real good, trust me I've never steered you wrong.:santa:
John

chad27
12-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Oh i know John. Thanks

chad27
12-21-2010, 07:35 PM
well is tub is cleaned but heck got a new one all set up with the min. Cream applied hope this guy gets better

bitsy
12-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Must admit I thought scale rot was fungal up til recently, but turns out it's bacterial.

Susan
12-22-2010, 06:13 AM
No harm in using both an anti-fungal cream and an antibiotic ointment. Check leftover ear ointments purchased at your vet as many have an antibiotic, an anti-fungal and an anti-inflammatory (Panolog, Otomax, Animax, Tri-Otic, EnteDerm, Vetromax, etc).

zorro
12-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Must admit I thought scale rot was fungal up til recently, but turns out it's bacterial.

I've been told by some long time breeders that it could actually be both but when I have seen it and treated it with an antifungal it cleared up quickly. I guess it's what ever works for you.
John

bitsy
12-22-2010, 02:03 PM
True enough John - thanks for the info, which makes me feel a bit better about being confused!

Apart from the slight difference in topical treatment, I concluded that the other conditions (minimal tank setup, dry as possible, frequent cleaning) were about the same for both. Would that be your view?

Nanci
12-22-2010, 02:26 PM
How strange that there are perfectly round pits. I'd do the weak betadine soak in addition to any cream you put on him. But I'd see if he wants to drink, first, so he isn't drinking his bathwater.

zorro
12-22-2010, 02:59 PM
True enough John - thanks for the info, which makes me feel a bit better about being confused!

Apart from the slight difference in topical treatment, I concluded that the other conditions (minimal tank setup, dry as possible, frequent cleaning) were about the same for both. Would that be your view?

I agree with the setup, I've only seen it once on my snakes, it was a striped butter female. I put her on newspaper cause I thought the aspen would stick to the cream but we are very dry here in Colorado. I think the humidity is a lot higher where Chad is and so it may take longer to heal but it went away real quick for me.
John

VickyChaiTea
12-22-2010, 04:06 PM
It reminds me of shell rot in turtles, which is bacterial in origin. So I would personally go with something for bacteria.

Green Oasis Reptiles
12-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Agreed...that's the exact method I've used.

Green Oasis Reptiles
12-22-2010, 05:12 PM
If it is fungal in origin then yes, if it is bacterial then no. I used the betadine because it kills both and then the antibiotic cream just in case. Up to you what you want to try.
Agreed...that the exact treatment I've used.