PDA

View Full Version : Dehydration?

Dehydration?

kaits
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Okay, the full story: My little Trillian regurged around a week ago, I was worried but I saw that she had just gone into blue so I figured that was why. Since then she has been extremely reclusive, not unusual for her, especially since she was shedding... However last night I noticed that she was showing sign of severe dehydration. Skin is wrinkled, especially around the neck. Judging by how pale she is, it looks like she is going to shed immediately? I thought perhaps the wrinkles were just due to the imminent shed and so I left her alone for the night. This morning she has still not shed and her condition seems worse. I currently have her soaking in some water but I'm at a loss as to what this could be or what other treatment I can take. She has water in her viv, I've seen her drinking from it before.

Short version: Snake regurged, looks like she was going to shed, and now is crazy dehydrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VickyChaiTea
01-03-2011, 04:12 PM
How long have you had her? She could have bee dehydrated at the store and is still getting rehydrated. What are the temperatures in her cage?

kaits
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
I've had her for over six months, so I doubt that's the case :[ Temperature on the hot side is around 83, not sure of the cool side temperature.

bitsy
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a failed shed rather than dehydration. Soaking will help. You could also get her in a tub with a damp towel and leave her to soak for an hour - the towel will give her something to rub the old skin off against once the water has softened it. Make sure there are airholes, but few enough that the humidity stays high. Clingfilm can help cover excess vents.

Make sure the water and air temp in the tub are about what they'd be in the middle of her usual tank - not too high.

Put a humid hide in her normal tank. Enclosed tub with an entry hole cut in it, containing a damp medium like kitchen paper. She can then curl up in this for longer periods of time.

The regurge could be part of the shedding problem. If the old skin was restricting her body, there may not have been room for the food to move through her digestive system. "Better out than in", as they say.

kaits
01-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Thank you, I will try that and hopefully she gets better :]