PDA

View Full Version : question about digestion

question about digestion

Helven_Ink
01-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Hello, I just adopted a corn snake from a friend of mine who is no longer able to care for it, and I had a question about the snake's digestion.
I just fed it for the first time on Tuesday December 28th, and I just found a poop in its terrarium earlier today (Jan 5th) for the first time, I went to scoop it out, and I noticed some whitish mush near it; The bedding was all soiled and wet near it and underneath it. My question is: Is that normal? or should I be concerned?
I don't know much about snake care, but I'm learning as fast as I can. I have another feeding scheduled for this coming Friday (Jan 7th) but if that whitish stuff is vomit, then I shouldn't feed him for a while right?

Thanks,
Jon

ratsncorns
01-05-2011, 03:29 AM
That is normal. The white is the urates, and dark is the feces. Perfectly ok! :)

Shiari
01-05-2011, 03:30 AM
Yes, that's normal. Snakes don't urinate separately. Their kidneys are ultra-efficient at reabsorbing water, just like with birds. Just think of snake 'poo' as being like a giant bird poo. It's feces and urates.

Helven_Ink
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. It's a little difficult to know what to expect if you've never owned a snake before. Do you have a sticky about things like that somewhere? I read the care sticky, but I think one that describes some of these types of processes might be helpful too. :p

Kronos
01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I would strongly suggest getting Kathy Love's book, and Don Soderberg's as well. Both excellent sources of information to compliment what you learn here.