PDA

View Full Version : Help please - Snake making clicking noise

Help please - Snake making clicking noise

rmnypt
01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
We left to go out of town on December 23rd and came back on January 2nd. We did have a neighbor checking in on Kit Kat our Abbott Okeetee, changing water etc. and he ate the evening of the 22nd. While out of town my Husband said that he dropped the temp. in the house to around 55 and it was very, very cold when we got home however we do have a Ranco controlling a uth and it was set at 85. Upon our return I found Kit Kat to be in blue or at least his eyes (although his belly checks didn't turn silver like normal). They stayed blue for probably another day or two and then cleared up as normal but he still hasn't shed yet. His/her colors are really dull and now I'm hearing a clicking sound every now and then when I took him out today. I know he hungry and I feel really bad not feeding him. I'm concerned about the clicking as well as him being so hungry. Any advice on the clicking and should I still hold off on feeding.

Thanks
Becky

chris68
01-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Clicking noise is probably the loose skin around his nostrils...Listen to him after he sheds, and raise the temp a degree or two as a precaution...and 16 days without food won't hurt any healthy snake :*)

Jeff Linkchorst
01-08-2011, 01:02 PM
As Chris said. Clicking sounds are either a shed is coming or a respiratory infection. Bump the heat and wait it out.

Kronos
01-08-2011, 01:31 PM
This happened to me also but with my boa constrictor. The day before he shed, I heard the clicking-type noises. Never heard them again after the shed. I was going to get him to a vet, but did some research here (I think) and found that the loose skin around the nostrils was the likely cause. That's most likely what you're seeing. If you hear any clicking after the shed, then don't hesitate to take him to a herp vet.

rmnypt
01-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll bump the temp as suggested and hopefully after he sheds the clicking will go away.

Thanks again
Becky

rmnypt
01-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Should I go ahead and feed the poor guy? He came out of blue around the 4th but still hasn't shed yet. He hasn't ate since the the evening of December 22nd and I know he has to be hungry.

rmnypt
01-10-2011, 11:59 AM
OK, I'm done stressing now. Literally while I was typing my last message he must have been in the other room shedding. He's enjoying a meal right now and no more clicking noises.

CarlieLynn
01-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Good to hear your Snake is alright, of course, it always happens that way, they stress you to the point your ready to snap and then carry out with their business, i swear they enjoy doing it, ahaha.

Dreamsnake
01-10-2011, 09:28 PM
When my guy takes a while to shed after the blue stage ends I'll let him work his way around a damp towel it speeds up the process.