PDA

View Full Version : First day out in New Mexico

First day out in New Mexico

oreo
03-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Today was my first attempt in the field out here in New Mexico and turned up nothing. If I were looking for fence lizards I would be rich. I was looking for some plains rats and mountain patched nosed maybe some hognosed. It was 65 degrees outside at about 2 o'clock. So I figured I might see something sunning itself or hanging out next to the boulders at the base of our mountains.

Does anyone from the southwest know of a prime time for fielding? I am new to these parts and would like to not waste so much time that I burn out on hiking around.

Thanks and good luck to everyone else.

CAV
03-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Most head to the Herp rich Trans-Pecos region of West Texas starting in May. I'm in Austin and it is supposed to be in the 80s this week. If it doesn't rain I plan on heading out this weekend to check a couple of local herp honey holes.

way2corny
03-23-2004, 10:59 AM
I think your going in mid-day was a good idea, but because you didn't turn up anything, I would suggest trying early morning, say 9am or so (in the hopes of catching them under rocks, etc. before they have a chance to warm up and move around). I would also suggest trying at dusk to pick up those species that are crepuscular (active at dawn and dusk) or nocturnal. I find that a prime time for milksnakes is like 3am, just to give you an idea of how varied species activity times can be.

I just got back from a week-long, herping trip through south Texas myself, and was lucky enough to see 48 total species, 6 of them being state protected species (TX indigo snake, TX tortoise, TX horned lizard, Mexican tree frog, Sheep frog, and Reticulated collarded lizard), so keep trying! Time spent searching in the field is directly correlated with how many species you're going to turn up, so work hard.

On a side note, and I probably don't need to tell you this, but make absolutely sure you're deligent in replacing the logs, rocks, etc. that you might disturb in your searching. Even a slight shift in a rock, for instance, can alter the microclimate under it and make it inhospitable to herps and other wildlife. Replace everything and happy herping!

oreo
03-25-2004, 04:56 PM
So..... I go to the Rio Grande and? Nothing, nope, nada, noway. Granted some idiots light the river valley on fire last summer in three palces that are obviously the easiest way to get to it. So I can understand somewhat. I traped through the brush along the river edge hoping I would scare some garters up and running. I do this everywhere I live to see the dominant type. ( in oregon I caught 47 wanderings next to a river in 1 hour and 15 minutes. I did release them after but it was definetly weird to see so many in 150 square feet.) And again nothing, nope, nada, none. I figure I might have to travel a little outside of the city limits next time. I did however win the stare down with an eastern fence lizard as my best guess is. He is about 3 inches long with tail so I am going to check him out a little more and let him go behing the house. We butt up against a field and across from that is a small lava boulder field.

Anyhow good luck to everyone else. I am sure you guys should fare better than I. LOL

Shaky
03-26-2004, 08:29 AM
I'd go with mornings at this time of year and look under trash piles and tin and lumber. In a few weeks, night road cruising maight be your best bet, and continued through summer.
The problem with scaring up garters along waterways down there is that the garters dont really hang out around waterways so much.
The garters in SW TX like rocky hillsides near water, but "near" may be 200 yards away. The blacknecks are maily amphibian eaters. The checkereds will eat varied stuff, but they don't need water so much either.