PDA

View Full Version : Bloodreds specifically..

Bloodreds specifically..

adominea
01-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Alright, I thought I should ask this here to see if any of you have heard of this, although it's not a huge concern.

I read in the corn snake book I just bought that bloodreds can have issues with breeding and eating. It said that they sometimes have bigger clutches with smaller eggs or something like that. I'm looking at getting a bloodred, and the breeding issue doesn't bother me because I'm getting a single male, and don't plan on ever breeding corns anyways. But the feeding on the other hand, does. It's not a big deal, I guess he just means they are picky eaters, but that makes very little sense to me (that it would be based on the morph).

Has anyone here with bloodreds had feeding problems? I'm just curious if this is true at all.

airenlow
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
That was "back in the day" when Bloodreds were new on the scene. They have since been out crossed with every other morph, so there are no longer any health issues. Go get one!

Nanci
01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
I think bloodreds used to have a reputation as picky feeders when they were first discovered. I don't know if that was deserved or not. These days you don't have anything to worry about. I would say my bloodreds are the least problematic of any of mine. I have nine at the moment, I think, not counting the lavbloods.

adominea
01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Oh, perfect. (: I just thought I should check, although I probably would have gotten it anyways. :P

The one I'm getting is bloodred het hypo, HOPEFULLY. He better have males left. :P But thank you guys so much for the quick answers!

bitsy
01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I think Josh and Nanci are right - that was "back in the day" and isn't current info.

My Bloodred is a very reliable feeder and never needs any encouragement other than putting in her feeding tank with a defrosted mouse. It's down the hatch within ten minutes.