PDA

View Full Version : How often do corns need to go to the vetand at what age?

How often do corns need to go to the vetand at what age?

CornSnake Fever
06-14-2002, 02:33 PM
Hello everyone,
In September of last year I bought my first normal color cornsnake(Ellie).Ellie was born in July of last year so she is almost a Year old. She has never been to the vet. She is very healthly looking normal corn ,eats right and on time,and sheds her skin normaly on time as well. I am a proud New Mom and she is my first and I don't want to make to many mistakes with her .She is an awsome Girl. I love her lots and want to make her happy and healthly. So When should I take her to the vet?

Iris
06-14-2002, 03:00 PM
I don't think it's necessary to go often unless your corn is sick. But if it makes you feel better to get your snake checked out, about once a year for a little check up couldn't hurt.
I also became a "mommy" last year, in December to be exact. I love my snakey baby!!
:D

CornSnake Fever
06-14-2002, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the reply.: )

CornCrazy
06-14-2002, 05:47 PM
Hello. I have one addition to what Iris said...
If you get any more snakes, it would be a good idea to take them to the vet at that time for an exam and possibly a fecal to check for internal parasites. After that, I think Iris is right, they don't typically have to go to the vet unless they are sick...not unless it simply makes YOU feel better.

Congratulations on becoming a snake "mommy!" I became a snake "mommy" this February. I have worked with them for over three years, though. I'm a vet tech at a small animal/exotics practice.

Terri

Tim Madsen
06-15-2002, 11:14 AM
As was said above a healthy appearing snake doesn't need to go to the vet., but it's a good idea to get a fecal exam performed once a year. If you collect a fresh sample and take it to the vet., most will do the exam for about $10. No need to pay $40 or $50 to have a vet. tell you your healthy snake is healthy. IMHO

Snakebite001
06-18-2002, 12:25 PM
im aslo a proud mommy......my snake...also normal healthy snake *sidney*
who was born 23 oct. so hes still a baby too.......
i think once a year wouldnt do any harm but if u are so worryed might as well check him up..!
*im thinkin of doing that too,,i wanna make sure hes PERFECT!!
:)

slick
08-10-2002, 08:38 PM
i have a 4 feet snake and i baught it 4 days ago ..got a question if it gets sick how would i know r there any special signs??

Neil
08-11-2002, 08:29 PM
There are different signs for different illnesses. Some signs that something is wrong are:

-If the snake refuses to eat over a very long period of time.
-Very abnormal faeces.
-Bubbling at the mouth or mouth not closing probably.
-Little parasites crawling all over the snake.

There are many, many other symtoms but I can't possibly list them all. The Corn Snake Manual has a good chapter on illnesses.

little twiglet
08-12-2002, 12:19 PM
I should have taken my snake to the vet and had him checked out because i have just found out my likkle baby is blind :(