PDA

View Full Version : mites

mites

donovandn
01-22-2011, 12:26 PM
hy there, i have a problem with mites can anyone helping me?
i bath the snake every day about 30 minutes, i use mite-ex because i canīt found anything more but the mites is there
someone told me to use frontline how you think?

Naagas
01-22-2011, 03:16 PM
I would make sure anything you use is safe for reptiles.
I know that, for example, dog flea medication can kill cats.

Lennycorn
01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Here's a link that you might be useful

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52545&page=5

MysticExotics
01-22-2011, 05:54 PM
I use provent a mite (PAM). I treat shaved aspen as well as newspaper, & any new snake has treated substrate, & I will also use it in exsisting snake bins.
PAM works very well. Do not use it directly on the snakes.
Keep in mind that intially killing existing mites does not take care of the problem. You will need to keep treating for a few weeks, because they lay eggs & will keep coming back if you don't.

xlevix
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
I would switch to paper towels/newspaper, boil/bake any rocks/branches you have, clean everything in the tank very very well and the tank itself as well. Mites suck, I battled them for a while myself; you just have to keep up with the treatment.

Rave
01-22-2011, 09:27 PM
The Nix method works wonders, highly recommended

donovandn
01-22-2011, 10:30 PM
thanks a lot for your answers and help, so pam i can't use because in portugal we dont have... So i will try the nix, thanks a lot to trying helping me and my snakes, i will post here in some days what hapenend with nix, god will helping me i think

donovandn
01-25-2011, 07:52 PM
i use the nix solution and 3 days i dont see the mites on the snake =)
thanks a lot

xlevix
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
i use the nix solution and 3 days i dont see the mites on the snake =)
thanks a lot

Stay vigilant, but don't get discouraged if they show up again in a few days, just gotta stay on top of it!

dionythicus
01-26-2011, 12:00 AM
I've found that Diatomaceous Earth (found at any garden store, Lowe's, Home Depot) is working very well on the mite problem I have. I'll be keeping the Nix on hand, but I've noticed dramatic improvement with the DE. You can keep it mixed in with the substrate at all times.

donovandn
02-07-2011, 02:09 PM
so far... no mites :)
thanks you all...

Nanci
02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I would repeat the Nix treatment two weeks after the initial treatment, and again two weeks after that. The solution you made is able to be stored for quite a while; you don't need to mix it fresh each time. Did you spray _everything_ with it? Floor, walls, whatever stand you have the snake on, etc.

donovandn
02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
yes everthing... wall... wood... the hide... everthing and i use the nix to clean everyweek when she poop (Sorry my english)

MysticExotics
02-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Keep in mind that you cannot just treat once & think it's over. Like Nanci said, you will want to treat a couple more times. Mites will lay eggs, that will start hatching & you will have to start all over.

Nanci
02-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I mean outside of the cage, too. I'd do a six foot diameter circle around it.