• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shed on Tail

Dusty_886

Steph
My Hermon shed and it was a pretty good shed, but there is a piece stuck to his tail right on the tip, almost like a cap on the end of his tail.Is this bad, what should I do about it?

You cau let him ""crawl"" through a damp wash cloth/towel (with you holding him) a feew times to help get it off. I sometime just wet my hand and let the tail slip through my fingers to help""scrap" it off.
But ...you have to get it off. It might take a few trys over a few days.

When I bought Mika at Petland she her whole tail had a retained shed. She had her first shed with me yesterday and didn't get the skin off the tail.

What I do is have her swim for about 5 minutes and then have her crawl through a damp wash cloth until it starts to peel off. Then I can usually just manually get it. =]

Don't forget about bumping up the humidity when he goes into blue!

I think my poor guy had the same problem :(.

CIMG1448.jpg

That is a perfect pic of a retained tail shed.

Get it moist and then use a washcloth.

If you don't remove it, the tip of the tail will fall off. This isn't the worst thing ever, but your snake would probably prefer to keep its tail tip.

At the top of this section there is a sticky, with pictures, that tells you how to remove a stuck shed. Be careful with a tail tip, you can pull off living skin, too.

I massaged his tail with room temperature water for about 5 minuets, nothing happened so I put him away and will try again tomorrow.

Yep.. gotta be careful when pulling off retained shed.. Especially if there is a few layers or it has been on for awhile.. I have accidently pulled off the tip of a tail once while trying to get the retained shed off.. If it is not coming off easily, don't force it.. Keep getting it wet and try to peel it off..

Soak the snake for 20 minutes! If you place the snake in room temp water, with a rough wash cloth, and soak, you have an excellent chance of the tail tip coming off by itself. If not, gently try to roll it off. If it doesn't go, soak again.

Back