PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing

Sneezing

CarlieLynn
01-22-2011, 05:51 PM
I am worried about my male snow. For the first time today he has begun sneezing. When I was holding him today, he sneezed twice. He was not wheezing or making any other noises, looks perfectly fine, took his meal 4 days ago without hesitation. I haven't changed anything in his enclosure, his nostrils look clear and overall he looks healthy. What could be causing this?
(I took pictures 15 minuets ago, uploading them now)

Lennycorn
01-22-2011, 05:54 PM
I am worried about my male snow. For the first time today he has begun sneezing. When I was holding him today, he sneezed twice. He was not wheezing or making any other noises, looks perfectly fine, took his meal 4 days ago without hesitation. I haven't changed anything in his enclosure, his nostrils look clear and overall he looks healthy. What could be causing this?
(I took pictures 15 minuets ago, uploading them now)

Could be ready to shed. You have a time line on them??
IR come to mind too but ..we'll hope for the shed theory : )

CarlieLynn
01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
His last shed was November 25th, some of his head scales are peeling up a little bit, I havent noticed him go into blue though, his eyes are clear and hard to tell with a snow, I havent held him for 3 days because I left him to digest, he could have went into blue then i suppose.

CarlieLynn
01-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Heres some pictures. He wouldn't stop moving so they were hard to get.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/CIMG1469.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/CIMG1472.jpg

Lennycorn
01-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I tend to think it going to shed and has some dry skin in its nostrils.

Keep an eye on it.

How the setup. aspen dry. Temp in mid 80's

CarlieLynn
01-22-2011, 06:20 PM
He is on dry aspen, a hide on either end and water bowl, the hot side has 4 inch heating tape beneith it. The cool side is in the 70's the hot side is 84 (it can fluctuate from 86 during the day to 79 at night). I've never noticed him do this before in any of his previouse sheddings, is it common?

Lennycorn
01-22-2011, 06:26 PM
He is on dry aspen, a hide on either end and water bowl, the hot side has 4 inch heating tape beneith it. The cool side is in the 70's the hot side is 84 (it can fluctuate from 86 during the day to 79 at night). I've never noticed him do this before in any of his previouse sheddings, is it common?

Why is it fluctuating? Is the heat tape regulated by something?
I trying to rule out IR ..

Yes, it has happen before and you snake is new to you...right?

CarlieLynn
01-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I got him in November, he was hatched in early October. It fluctuates because the heater in my room kicks off in the night, the heat tape is set up to a thermostate set for 86 degrees, I have my thermometer (which reads highest and lowest temps), so i am following that, it says 79-86, though ive never seen it at 79, so it must be in the night.

Lennycorn
01-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Ah...OK you're setup is good. It would be nice if it didn't fluctuate that much but ...that me.
I would see what happen after the shed and maybe put a humid hide in there during the shed cycle.

CarlieLynn
01-22-2011, 06:34 PM
okay, I am not hearing any popping or cracking, just a little sneeze every couple minuets, is that alright?

Lennycorn
01-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah.....if you want. give him a "bath" in room temp water. I'm not keen on the idea but if you soak him for a minute or so it might loosen up the skin. It might stop the sneezing too.

Keep in mind the snake might freak out a bit in the bath.
Don't lose him down any holes LOL

Dreamsnake
01-22-2011, 11:57 PM
My ball python sneezes when he drinks. If the snow is in blue he may have some water trapped in his nostrils under the dry skin. The best way for me to tell when I have a blue snow is the belly. I flip him over and check out his belly under sun light, if it looks milky then he's blue (belly checks help.)

RavenSpirit360
01-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Its possible that it could be from him getting ready to shed.. I would say keep a close eye on him... If he sheds and it goes away then you know that was the problem.. If you notice any other signs or he starts acting funny, I would take him to a vet. I have had this happen often though when they where getting ready to shed.. So I hope thats all it is..

CarlieLynn
01-23-2011, 03:30 PM
So, today I switched his substrate, cleaned his bin, held him for 20 min, gave him a 20 min bath, then held him for an extra 10, throughout the whole process I never heard one sneeze, is it possible something was just in his nose yesterday?

Dreamsnake
01-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Maybe. Try to catch him yawning after his next meal and look down his throat. If you see a lot of bubbles, there's a resp. infection. I've seen instructions on YouTube of how to open a python mouth, but I think it would be impossible to open a young corn's mouth without causing an injury.