PDA

View Full Version : Deworming ?

Deworming ?

CornSnake Fever
06-14-2002, 03:23 PM
How often Do you have to deworm a Snake? or if ever you have to?

CornsnakeKeeper
06-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Cornsnakes aren't dogs.
You don't need to deworm them.
From all I know, I've never heard of snake worms.

I recommend the cornsnake manual. t's a book by Bill and Kathy Love and can be purchased at amazon.com. Then, come back with all of your other questions.

CornCrazy
06-14-2002, 05:39 PM
Actually, snakes CAN get worms and other internal parasites. I am a vet tech and I made sure to take a fecal sample with me to work when I got each of my snakes. I believe the corn snake manual speaks of internal parasites on pages 64-65. I would say if your snake's feces isn't normal, then it would be a good idea to have a fecal checked. Of course, snakes aren't like dogs and cats who get an automatic deworming every year. They simply need to be dewormed if parasites are present.

Good luck and I hope this helps!
Terri

CornSnake Fever
06-14-2002, 05:41 PM
That was just what I herd When I asked the vet about snakes . I have not yet taken my snake to the yet . but, when I took my cat in I asked about what they do for snakes in a check up and The doctor mentioned deworming.

CornSnake Fever
06-14-2002, 05:43 PM
I also have the manual

CornSnake Fever
06-14-2002, 05:45 PM
thank you CornCrazy I will read it.:)

CornCrazy
06-14-2002, 06:03 PM
You are VERY welcome! Also, if you get any new snakes you should consider taking them to the vet for an initial exam and a fecal. After that, they don't really need to go unless they are sick or have a problem (like being egg-bound or something).

Good luck and happy reading!
Terri

Susan
06-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Although I generally feed frozen/thawed prey, my snakes will occasionally get a live prey item or one that has been freshly killed but not frozen. Because of this, I deworm my snakes once a year just in case my rodent colony is harboring parasites. (It's much easier to deworm my snakes than to try and deworm a rodent colony.) And even though many will say that freezing prey for 3 months kills all parasites, there really isn't any solid proof of this. And if it IS true, can you guarantee that EVERY frozen rodent you have fed has been frozen for 3 months?