PDA

View Full Version : hasn't eaten in 3 weeks...

hasn't eaten in 3 weeks...

katt013
02-01-2011, 04:16 PM
it's been probably a year since i've posted, :( but i'm back with another question.

Kalypso is over a year old (I got her Nov of 09.) now and i have never had a problem with her eating. until now. she went blue 7 weeks ago, but she never ended up shedding. i never had a problem with her shedding until now, either. she stopped responding to food 3 weeks ago too. normally, she'd eat within a second of seeing the mouse, now she's completely uninterested.

ideas why she'd go blue then not shed, and now completely refuse food?

i switched her from a 10 gallon to a 20-long 2 weeks ago, but that's the only thing that's been changed.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Lennycorn
02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Hmmm odd .

Are you sure it a female. It might be a male and stop eating because a matting season but...it a tad early for that and young too.
How your heat source. Same as the old setup?? and what are you offering for a meal?

carnivorouszoo
02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Not all, but a lot of corns won't eat in the winter, its a thing about how in nature it would probably be too cold for them to eat. As to the not shedding what have you done about it? Swiiming? Silding through a damp towel in yourl ap? Anything? Any chance you just missed finding the shed in the cage? Personally I would let the snake swim a few times a week until I had a confirmed shed, the exercise should perk the appetite too.

katt013
02-02-2011, 04:23 AM
wow, you know, i didnt even realize, she may be a he. :x i never knew one way or the other, and named it a girl name, so in my mind it's a she. lol.

as far as the shed, yes, we're swimming often & i'm spraying the tank with a mister. the temp is the same and nothing has changed aside from the tank upgrade.

carnivorouszoo
02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Its rare but I have heard of snakes eating their shed, though the snakes I heard of doing it were garters. This guy I knew had some garters and he saw one of them eating its own shed, it was wierd. When one of my snakes was little he shed in his water bowl and I did not notice it until it was almost all disolved. He was a little guy, I checked for his shed, freaked a bit then a few days after he had shed I went to clean out his water bowl and there it was stuck on the bowl the part that was in it was all mush and disolving. I would not have noticed it if the tail had not stuck to the side of the dish.

Shmoges
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
How is your humidity? Do you mist regularily and or have a moist hide?

Shmoges
02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Wierd I can't edit my posts....do you have a gauge for humidity as well?

Naagas
02-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't worry too much unless there is a rapid decline in weight or your snake becomes lethargic.

I have heard of snakes going into blue and then seeming not to shed. I figure a snake will shed when it is good and ready to. And as owners we will be going crazy waiting and worrying.

I would keep offering food on schedule. Try braining the food, or scenting it, or putting them into a feeding container and cover the feeding container and leave her alone for a while. That usually works for me for stubborn feeders.

But, some males go on hunger strikes in the spring. And they get really active. If he is acting all crazy, then this is probably it. He is looking for some nookie from a female snake!

katt013
02-03-2011, 01:37 AM
I have been misting regularly, I don't have a humidity gauge though.

*sigh, I think it's time to state my once female snake is a male. S/he has been abnormally active since it stopped eating. As far as the missing shed goes, ive had that water dish thing happen once, but I can't seem to find any evidence of a shed this time around.

Naagas
02-03-2011, 03:12 AM
You can keep calling your snake a "she". I'm sure the snake could care less!