PDA

View Full Version : Females and eggs

Females and eggs

CornSnake Fever
06-14-2002, 06:19 PM
Do Females produce eggs even if their not breeding? I was just wondering if she will lay unfertile eggs without a male. some animals do that from what I read. BUT, corns?:)

Jayde
06-14-2002, 07:25 PM
Nope, corns don't lay eggs if there isn't a male around.
I had Ruby a year before I got Lord Daimond and she ate 2-3 times a week but she didn't lay a single egg.
A month or so after I got Lord Daimond She grew big and a few weeks after that she laid her first egg.

When I used to feed my cockatiel corn flakes she'd lay infirtile eggs. Before we got the male cockatiel Ray.

It's like you'd feed chickens corn to make them lay infertile eggs. But I don't think it goes for any other species outside of the bird family :)

Hope that helps! :D

CornSnake Fever
06-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Thank you Jayde that does help. See Ellie is my first so I want to get as much info as I can on her.

Thank you,
Ellie's proud mom

Jayde
06-14-2002, 07:45 PM
Cool what colour is she, and how old is she?
How did you fall in love with your snake?

I fell in love with Ruby in the pet shop. She was in a hide cave and she was wrapped up with hatchlings and when I wanted to hold her she just took to me and wrapped herself around my hair. She didn't want to let go and go back in the viv. So I HAD to buy her and on the car ride home she was on my shoulders (mum was driving) :D hahahahaha, she always makes me laugh and she's got such a sense of humor!!!

CornSnake Fever
06-15-2002, 02:11 AM
Thats Sweet Jayde But how did your Mom Feel? Ellie is a One year old Normal color corn She is really pretty.:D My husband and I were talking about snakes one day and he told me about his gardner snake he had when he was young ,and my mom never liked snakes being from Arizona and all so she never let me have one even though I did my research on corn snakes and I always wanted one . Here in Arizona your Kind of taught to stay away from snakes(RattleSnakes That is). So my husband and I talked and I told him how much I wanted a cornsnake when I was young. So we went to our local reptile shop where they breed all thier own reptiles . They had 2 month old hatchlings, and they showed me this little fit in the palm of your hand normal color baby corn first . She was so cute It was love at first site for me. Now, she doesn't fit in my hand so well anymore but she is still so cute.
Thanks for listening to me ramble,
Ellie's proud mom:cool:

kenalotia
06-15-2002, 10:43 AM
Actually, I have heard of some females laying infertile eggs without having been bred. It's not nearly so common as it is with birds, but it does happen.

CornSnake Fever
06-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Kenalotia thats what I heard as well. I wanted to make sure I Had as much info on my female snake as I could get.:D
Thank you,
Ellie's proud Mom:)

Tim Madsen
06-15-2002, 10:57 AM
I've never had one lay eggs but I've had them throw slugs.