PDA

View Full Version : food lump..?? or fatal disease??

food lump..?? or fatal disease??

dek593
02-10-2011, 01:59 AM
I`ve fed 2 large pinkies to my lavender corn snake seven days ago and she still has lump in middle of her belly. I`ve gave her lukewarm water bathing yesterday and her belly lump got smaller and I just gave her another lukewarm bathing. My lavender never had problem like this.

bitsy
02-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Well, if the lump immediately coincided with feeding then I'd be pretty confident that it was just slow digestion rather than something nasty that was unrelated to feeding.

If it was constipation, then I'd expect the lump to be nearer the vent.

Is this the snake's first meal of 2 large pinkies? If so, then their digestive systems can sometimes take a while to gear up to cope with the new food size.

Is the snake due to shed? Again, this can slow digestion as their systems divert evergy into the shedding process.

Otherwise, I'd just double-check temps on the floor (too warm or too cool will interfere with digestion) and if they're good then just sit tight. I'd suggest not disturbing the snake any more - a regurge this late after feeding probably wouldn't be a good thing.

Hopefully others can offer more ideas and advice. Good luck - keep us posted.

dek593
02-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I`ve kept this girl for five months. I`ve started feeding two large pinkies about two months ago.She used to digest perfectly in three to four days. She has shed last month. I checked if she shed perfectly at that time and there was no problem. The temp of basking spot is 85~88F all the time. I give her NutirBAC df dissolved water now. She`s active as she used to do and she doesn`t seem to be sick or uncomfortable with her belly lump. Should I give her another lukewarm bathing tonight?? I`m not feeding her until the lump is gone.

Caryl
02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
She has shed last month. I checked if she shed perfectly at that time and there was no problem. The temp of basking spot is 85~88F all the time. I give her NutirBAC df dissolved water now. Should I give her another lukewarm bathing tonight?? I`m not feeding her until the lump is gone.

Young ones can shed every month, so she may be heading into a shed cycle even if you can't see it yet. What's the temperature on the floor? Do you supply heat under the viv? Overhead lights aren't the best way to provide heat for corns. If your home has been cooler lately for whatever reason, her temps at digestion level may not sufficient for proper digestion.

NutriBac in the water is a good idea. Be sure to wash the container and provide fresh water and NutriBac daily while you're supplementing. Another lukewarm bath shouldn't hurt, though it may not help. Definitely delay feeding until this issue resolves.

Keep and eye on her and make sure her temps are adequate. Consider taking her to a vet if her activity level declines. Otherwise, I'd minimize handling and try to be patient. Let us know how things go. Best of luck!

dek593
02-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I`ve just got home from work and checked my lavender`s belly. Everything looked just fine as usual. She has no more belly lump. :D However, I`m planning to feed her only one large pinkie until she sheds newly and start to feed her two large pinkies again otherwise one peach fuzzy.
I`m so tankful for your advice people :D Thanks.

Nanci
02-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Don't go directly from one large pink to two large. Go from one large to two small, and then gradually increase the size. If you can't do that- don't have a bunch of different sizes, go to one and a half for a bunch of meals, then two.

dek593
02-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I really thank for your advice, Nancy. :D