PDA

View Full Version : Weird vent activity.

Weird vent activity.

maadne
02-15-2011, 06:14 AM
I noticed my snake thundering around his viv at speeds I'd never seen him move at the other week so I picked him up to see what the problem was. Upon inspecting him I noticed his vent was open and that there was a white fluid oozing out of it. I'm just curious as to what it was really. Also does anyone know the symptoms of a snake if its constipated. Behaviour not appearance.

Nanci
02-15-2011, 07:07 AM
How old is he? Did the fluid have a gritty feel to it, or smell "snakey?" Did he poop in the time surrounding this event?

maadne
02-16-2011, 06:06 AM
He is just over 2 years old. I didn't really fancy touching the mess but it didn't look gritty, but you never know i suppose. And no it wasn't around a time that he defecated.

diamondlil
02-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Did it smell of what I like to delicately refer to as 'honeymoon'? It could just be the sap rising, so as to speak!

maadne
02-16-2011, 06:17 AM
See now this is what I initially thought. I just didn't know whether snakes where suppose to just 'release' like that randomly. You reckon he has just reached sexual maturity then? He was on the move big time before he did it. Could he have been looking for a female? He's still restless now.

diamondlil
02-16-2011, 06:33 AM
It sounds likely to me, with all the activity being a start of searching for a mate. Don't be surprised if he goes off his food for a while too. My boys tend to go on a breeding fast for a few months and lose a bit of weight in the spring/early summer

Susan
02-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Did it smell of what I like to delicately refer to as 'honeymoon'? It could just be the sap rising, so as to speak!

But that stuff is yellow in corn snakes, not white. I'm leaning more to just urates or perhaps musk (I couldn't tell you the color of that, they whip it so fast all I ever get is the lingering smell).

diamondlil
02-16-2011, 06:35 AM
But that stuff is yellow in corn snakes, not white. I'm leaning more to just urates or perhaps musk (I couldn't tell you the color of that, they whip it so fast all I ever get is the lingering smell).
Ah, good call! Yep, it's definately yellow when my chaps spread it around!

Nanci
02-16-2011, 07:40 AM
I've never seen a snake just randomly exude semen if a female wasn't involved...I'd bet on urates or musk. Either can vary from white to pale or dark yellow to green, even.

Naagas
02-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm betting musk.
He was on the hunt for a female and you interrupted him!

I actually saw one of my females musk me the other day. It looked like a little bit of white liquid.

Dorgrim
02-21-2011, 01:47 AM
I had a snake once take a light poo of just some clear fluids (and a toot lol) and he poked his bits on a piece of bedding. He was very displeased and shot around the cage real fast. it might have been this? I would assume getting poked in your junk is never fun :P lol

Naagas
02-22-2011, 12:00 AM
I had a snake once take a light poo of just some clear fluids (and a toot lol) and he poked his bits on a piece of bedding. He was very displeased and shot around the cage real fast. it might have been this? I would assume getting poked in your junk is never fun :P lol

Ouch! That does not sound fun, no matter what the species.