PDA

View Full Version : 2 1/2 year old Corn loosing weight

2 1/2 year old Corn loosing weight

Jenn_Tigercat
02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Ok so I am a little concerned with the fact that my Male Ra is loosing weight. He has been eating every two weeks with no regurges. Is on full grown mice and doesn't seem to be having any problems. Just fed him this morning and he ate two hoppers no problem. I am concerned because at his highest weight he was 291g and has now dropped to 261g. I have not brumated him or changed his schedule in any way. He did get moved into a 20 gallon long tank, but that was recent. He seems to be have been loosing weight since October fourth when he weighed 291g. If this definitely continued he will be going to the vet or at least having a fecal done to make sure there is nothing going on there. His temps are 86 on the warm side and about 75 on the cool side.

P.S. I will not be going back to the vet where I lost my one snake but have found another vet that I like very much that I will take him to.

bitsy
02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Try taking him up to one feed a week. Once a fortnight is pretty standard for an adult Corn but there's no "one size fits all" feeding regime. He may just be one of those that needs more.

Jenn_Tigercat
02-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Try taking him up to one feed a week. Once a fortnight is pretty standard for an adult Corn but there's no "one size fits all" feeding regime. He may just be one of those that needs more.

Yeah I am thinking about moving him back up to once a week. He is very active so it could be that he just needs more food. He will be going to the vet on Friday just to get checked over and hopefully get a fecal done so that I can make sure that it isn't parasites.

medusacoils
02-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Very good idea! It could very well be a metabolism thing. I would get a fecal done just in case. Couldn't hurt!

Wayne

ghosthousecorns
02-15-2011, 04:28 PM
At 2 1/2 years old I would still consider it a juvenile.
I agree to bump the feedings to weekly. I am conservative with feeding my snakes, but the only ones I would put on a two week schedule would be older adults that had good size to them.

Jenn_Tigercat
02-15-2011, 08:36 PM
At 2 1/2 years old I would still consider it a juvenile.
I agree to bump the feedings to weekly. I am conservative with feeding my snakes, but the only ones I would put on a two week schedule would be older adults that had good size to them.

My reasoning for feeding him conservatively was that there was no reason to rush him to grow as I have no female to breed him with and no reason to get him up to breeding weight. just to let him grow slowly.

He will be going to the vet on Friday and hopefully I can get a fecal as well just to make sure that he is healthy.

Jenn_Tigercat
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
well just got back from the vet and Ra's stool was normal. Going to up his feeding to once a week and see how he does.

bitsy
02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
That's really good news. Keep us posted on how he does on his new routine - hopefully he should be a growing lad again before long.

Jenn_Tigercat
02-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah it is good news but now I have to be careful cause my new leopard gecko has coccidia

Naagas
02-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Good news on the fecal! Keep us updated!