PDA

View Full Version : Do people have other hobbies?

Do people have other hobbies?

MegF.
03-21-2004, 09:30 AM
What are some of your other hobbies....besides snakes I mean (I know, there's something else?).

I have horses, like to fly airplanes, read, play the Bluegrass Fiddle and Mandolin, and if I get the chance, sail.

CornDude
03-21-2004, 10:20 AM
ye, i play this (http://www.legendofmir.net) amongst other things

Clint Boyer
03-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Other hobbies huh........

Well, when I get time, enjoy shooting sports and firearms. Hunting, fishing, camping and hiking. My son is very active in Boy Scouts so I assist with troop activities when possible.

Amanda E
03-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Besides snakes...the main 2 things:

I'm a genealogy geek. I love to rummage through old records looking for more info about my (and my husband's) family.

I also love photography, though I haven't had time to take many photos lately.

Meg... I can't play the mandolin, though I'm trying to learn. My dad makes mandolins for a living and I finally convinced him to make me one. I was actually named after a mandolin: Amanda Lynne

Simon
03-21-2004, 12:20 PM
hum........
I love basketball, photo taking (of snakes...only) , RC racing, and love my sleeps...:D

Clint Boyer
03-21-2004, 12:31 PM
When I saw that you had posted, Simon, I just had to see what other hobbies you had. I just couldn't believe that you had time for anything else with all that work and so many snakes too!

I'll bet the one thing you enjoy but get the least of is SLEEP! ;)

Tim Madsen
03-21-2004, 12:45 PM
I play guitar and sing in a Oldtime Gospel group, Snow Ski, field collect snakes (mostly with a camera these days) and fish. I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle since I can't seem to do enough bodily harm skiing. ;)

Siva
03-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Snakes are definately #1 but after that i would have to say I like to draw/paint, go fishing, take pictures(mainly with my SLR camera-i suck at digital photography...) and I also enjoy breeding mice ;) for both food, temperment, and color.

Jimmy Johnson
03-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Well, I also keep some aqautic turtles a tortoise and some bearded dragons but I guess you could link them in with the snakes as a general herp hobby.
But something I have done all of my life and will do as long as I am able is FISHING.
I love fishing. Trout fishing, bream fishing, crappie fishing, catfish fishing, deep sea fishing and my favorite bass fishing.
I don't know if you would call it a hobby but I also love reading.
Three places I never have enough money....
Reptile shows
tackle stores
and book stores
Jimmy

Nagah11979
03-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Other than keeping snakes I love...

Drawing- fantasy/comic book style, reading, writing stories, photography, learning guitar, and watching cheesy horror flicks with my boyfriend :D

Cyntax
03-21-2004, 07:08 PM
when i'm not working (which is usually rare) I am either on my motorcycle scaring old ladies and small children, or tending to my saltwater reef fish tank.

MegF.
03-21-2004, 07:21 PM
I forgot about fishing and hunting Clint. Love those too. My husband and I also shoot competitively in trap, and in Cowboy Action Shooting.

Clint Boyer
03-21-2004, 09:45 PM
CAS is sooooo much fun! I've never joined but I did go shoot with my Dad a few times. This was one of his guns:
http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/trapper
I've got it now and plan on keeping it firing!

MegF.
03-21-2004, 10:27 PM
You should go. It's a blast. My hubby got me two matched Colt 38-40's for Christmas one year. I have an original Winchester 1894 in 38-40 and shoot a Remington double barrel 12 gauge for the shotgun. It's a lot of fun, and the people are great. Just like the people on this forum!! By the way, nice little carbine. What's the caliber....38/357?

Clint Boyer
03-21-2004, 10:52 PM
The Trapper is a .45 colt. My son has Dad's Vaquero, it's also .45 colt.

You have an original model 94 38-40? What year manufacture? I bet that's a blast! And matching Colts, dang....
I just bought a 1949 model 94 .32 special. It's the one in the middle.
http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/94s

kenster
03-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Very nice guns Clint! I also have a .32 special, talk about a nice shooting gun. Although I don't have pics of mine, as I can see I'll have to do! Although since my favorite shotgun is camo'ed you might not be able to see it;) I did just pick up a S&W 357 model 66, my very first handgun. And I'll tell you it won't be my last. I have been pondering something smaller and lighter that I could "carry".

Oh as for me other than snakes, I am an avid hunter. I enjoy every aspect of the sport. As of late my favorite has become waterfowl hunting. Which I can't wait until fall comes agian to get back out over the decoys. And this season I'm gonna try lay out hunting, which looks and sounds like so much fun. That reminds me I better start sucking up to Lee now so he remembers he invited me. I am actually headed down to Arkansas duck hunting in late December, which should be a blast....OK that's me:D

MegF.
03-22-2004, 03:29 AM
I haven't done much hunting in way of waterfowl. Usually it's dove. I'd love to do some deer hunting, but our deer are small out here. I guess it would be o.k. though, as my deer rifle is in .270. Not a huge caliber, but very accurate. I have a varmint gun in .243 too. My Winchester is an 1894, manufactured in that year. If I get a chance, I'll post a pic.

CornCrazy
03-22-2004, 06:01 AM
WOW...I didn't realize I missed hunting until reading your posts. I haven't been in about 20 years...since I was a teenager. I may have to get back into it once I am out of school (and can afford a gun).

I like to draw, do crafts, sports, camping. Basically, there's not much I won't try, and I enjoy most things!

Simon
03-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Clint Boyer
When I saw that you had posted, Simon, I just had to see what other hobbies you had. I just couldn't believe that you had time for anything else with all that work and so many snakes too!

I'll bet the one thing you enjoy but get the least of is SLEEP! ;)

LOL....yeah I know....
sucks to be me...trust me...
and I love and enjoy my sleeps so much.....they're definately the best part of my day~~

LOL...it's 6am now and I just got off my 'work' (was cleaning up cages and had a little net meeting in HK)

so better get to bed (and I am still up on the internet...geeze..) have to get up and get to work at 8....so better sleep now~ told you I love my sleeping time~

Susan
03-22-2004, 11:40 AM
With a full time job, being the mother of a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old, and my snakes, I don't have much time for any other hobbies. I used to enjoy drawing, but haven't had the time since the children were born. Every once in awhile, I like to play a game on the PS2, but that doesn't happen very often. I guess my next best hobby is this forum since I get to visit it at least once a week.

Darin Chappell
03-22-2004, 11:44 AM
I love to hunt and fish. I ride my mountain bike (not nearly enough, though!). We have horses, dogs, and a few worthless cats to tend. I spend a LOT of time with my kids!

Skye
03-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Hiking.

I used to do a LOT of canoeing/kayaking and rock-climbing but those days seem to have passed me by now.

I keep trying to learn guitar, but I don't seem to be a musical natural.

And pyrography (wood-burning) is my artistic outlet.

http://clevinger.colorado.edu/peter/Sundance.jpg

Skye

Darin Chappell
03-22-2004, 12:20 PM
What a GREAT PICTURE!!! That's really good stuff there! You ought to try to sell some things like that at the various snake shows. You'd really be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at much stuff like that can go for around a bunch of herp enthusiasts!

Terrific ... really!

Kat
03-22-2004, 05:20 PM
My other hobbies include dabbling in various arts such as sketching, acrylic painting (paint by numbers, but I'm getting to the point where I may try my own designs), ceramic painting, and silk painting. I also run a MUSH (text-based online RPG), though I've kind of been falling behind in that area. And videogames (GameCube). Quite obviously not all of this at once, but you get the idea...

But cornsnakes, especially the genetics aspect of breeding them, is my number one hobby.

-Kat

Taceas
03-23-2004, 01:44 AM
Um lets see here..I'm not very specialized as far as hobbies go, I just do whatever I'm game for at the moment.

For starters I'm a Diablo addict. The Battle.net online multiplayer games mostly. But I also play a little Age of Empires as well, need to fill the urge to conquer the world every now and then. I also dabble with my PS2 every once in a while, Gran Turismo 3 and both Grand Theft Autos.

I like to garden and am always out fiddling with my flowers or herbs. I love to baby my orchids given the chance.

I also like to play with all of my animals, mainly my dog Maia, my two goats Kahlua and Bailey, and my bird Skyy (yes there is an alcohol theme there.)

Maia:
http://www.mainecoon.net/~rain/FamilyPics/PatokaHouse/Dogs/Maia.JPG

Kahlua & Bailey:
http://www.mainecoon.net/~rain/FamilyPics/PatokaHouse/Goats/KahluaBailey1.JPG

Skyy:
http://www.mainecoon.net/~rain/FamilyPics/PatokaHouse/BirdsandBees/Quaker3.JPG

I also like to hike in the woods, hunt for arrowheads in the fields behind the house (don't find many), hunt and fish. And in springtime, I'm an avid and aggressive mushroom hunter. Love the morel. And no, not telling you where my patch is. >=)

I love deer, but for some reason deer hunting mystifies me..I'm clueless in between getting a license, shooting the deer and getting it processed..I could do those things easy, but it's the whole checking it that confuddles me. I might get it figured out someday. =P

I also enjoy NASCAR quite a bit, watch the races every Sunday like clockwork. RIP #3!

My next hobby will probably be either saving up money for a new truck, or a salt water fish tank. Freshwater is ok..but the fish aren't very colorful. And I got rid of my baby, Raven, a couple of years ago, she was eating me up on gas travelling back and forth from school, work, and home..but I still miss her! :crying:

http://www.mainecoon.net/~rain/FamilyPics/PatokaHouse/MiscellaneousPics/Truck.jpg

MegF.
03-23-2004, 04:42 AM
I love drag racing....Go John Force and new team!! Love to watch PBR too.

Alex Dew
03-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Urm. I also keep 100s of tropical fish and I play the guitar (in a band). I love out-door sports and I play a lot of internet games (age of empires, backgammon ect.)

Thanks
Alex

Skye
03-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Taceas - I love Diablo too. But I particularly like all the Baldurs Gate games. And I'm not immune to Never Winters Night either.

Skye

Clint Boyer
03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Meg, I was meaning to ask you about that 1894. You use that as a shooter in CAS?

110 yrs old and still kickin'

I'm soooo jealous! Wanna trade? I'm sure I've got some snakes you really need! ;)

anny
03-24-2004, 04:26 PM
In my free time... I've been focus on looking at colleges. Ugh. And every once in a while I'll get to do stuff I actually enjoy, like skiing, concerts, reading, sleeping, traveling (recently to India), listening to <b>any</b> music, playing my violin, learning guitar, rubix cubes, contra dancing, looking at the stars, hiking, kayaking, volunteering, building robots and stage sets, and hanging out with mes amis.

anny
03-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Oh, and by the way Taceas, I love the picture of your goats. The small one looks like my Bartholomew, but in a very miniature version. My Bart was a massive goat! I had to give him away though, because I didn't have time to take care of him. :(

Skye
03-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Darin:

Thank you very much for your kind words. I have actually done a few to sell - the bearded dragon I posted earlier was one such commission. I also had a few hours of fun making about a hundred fridge magnets once which I also sold at a reptile show.

Here is a larger piece I did for my husbands office:

http://clevinger.colorado.edu/peter/heron1.jpg

I have never done a cornsnake yet...I keep trying to find the time, and the right picture to base it on.

Skye

Dennis Gulla
03-25-2004, 04:50 PM
My other hobbies include, time permiting of course, dogs and dog training. I have been doing that for a long time now. I love hiking in the woods, spending time with my two kids and watching horror flicks, the good ones of course...The Shining, The Exorcist and Silence of the Lambs to name a few.

WingedWolf
03-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Most of my other hobbies are "weird"...psychic development, paranormal investigations, that sort of thing.
I enjoy reading SF/F/Horror novels, and watching movies in the same genres, particuarly cheesy horror films about mutant animals eating people <lol>.

Looking after my kids takes up a lot of my time, too. I love camping, fishing, field herping, and organic gardening (though I get to do very little of that).

MegF.
03-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Skye, Your artwork is fantastic. I do pencil sketches, but nothing like that. If you ever get around to doing a cornsnake, make sure you post the picture.

MegF.
03-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Is a picture of one of my horses. His name's Galliano

Skye
03-26-2004, 10:21 AM
is that you riding him?

Dennis Gulla
03-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Wow! What a beautiful animal that is! I'm jealous!

MegF.
03-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Yes, that's me. Thanks for the complement. He's my boy!!

Skye
03-27-2004, 04:14 PM
I agree - that is a beautiful horse!

Skye

pipatic
03-28-2004, 05:23 PM
other hobbies.
ehm leopard gecko's, beardies,dumerils,

then there my kids , rock and blues music, an sea fishing, my 2 bull terriers :D used to ride m/cycles,

eddie
03-29-2004, 02:43 AM
um well i used to love playing baseball and football but the docter said no more for me.. so now i sit home play with the snakes collect baseball football cards and love playuing video games.. like diablo 2 boulders gate and all of the ea sports games like madden mvp baseball fifa soccer.. geez cxome to think of it i think i got liek 50 games.. man im getting lazy... and the best game of all socom 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel
04-02-2004, 07:10 AM
Meg, I am so jealous! What a lovely outline!

As for me, I enjoy horseriding, kickboxing, belly dancing, my dog Meg (and we're getting another on Sunday...'Texas' he's a rescue greyhound!), art (although i don't do much now) and generally going out with my mates and dancing the night away!

tyretosmom
04-02-2004, 11:54 AM
When I have time I like to garden and go to the gym. But after reading all of your guy's hobbies I realize I need to get into more things! here is a list of hobbies I had ebfore kids. Im hoping to get back into them when my kids get a little older. (youngest is 10 mo.) Golf, tennis, Fastpitch pitcher, raised birds, pottery, aorobics.

Jaimee

Canadain Eh?
04-02-2004, 02:37 PM
My hobbies are snowboarding, reptiles, playing drums, listening to music, PS2 and photography. My camera now is just a Kodak Digital CX 6230 but wanting to get a Canon digital SLR Rebal.

MegF.
04-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Oh, and thanks Rachel. That's nice of you to say!

Neumann
04-12-2004, 02:45 PM
My hobbies include but are not limited to:

Drawing
Family (kids)
Mountain Unicycling
Photography (new)
Snakes
Travel

I now have an interest in nature photography which was sparked by some of the beautiful snake pictures found on this site.

niki
04-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Im an art student so i really like to get creative i make clothes bags and sell paintings ect.. oh yeah im a busy mum to a 5 year old so i guess the time i spend on her i may as well say shes a hobbie. I love motorbikes hiking and cats. but my favourite hobbie has got to be getting rotten drunk with buddies and attempting to dance (really well)

niki
04-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Heres a bit of my art hope you can see it.........

niki
04-16-2004, 06:11 PM
a little closer

nica_chick412
04-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Meg,
What a beautiful horse!!! I am jealous. I am a full time mom. When I get the time I would like to direct the youth choir at my church and start teaching Sunday School again. I have been haveing health problems that temporarily confined me to my home. Getting better by the day though. I like singing. My husband is a Karaoke DJ. haha. There is always music in my house. I enjoy playing classical piano. Have tried the guitaar, however I usually end up peeling off the calluses from my left hand. :)

niki
04-16-2004, 07:00 PM
i agree what a phenomenal creature what a pleasure to own. im green with envy.lol

stuart
04-16-2004, 07:05 PM
ha ha ha ha, my hobbies, hmm.... lets see
well, i do a LOT of playing Halo online, that is 1 GREAT game, it is higly addictive.
i follow the WRC and go to watch it when its near me.
I own a snake and a leo and will be adding.
I also hunt snakes, not to kill, obviously
I enjoy taking photos of my reptiles, the leo is a bi*ch to get though, he doesnt stop moving.
i also like collecting pics, if i see a good one on the net, i save it, i got hundreds...
I have a brilliant social life, go to a lot of discos, partys etc..
I have Nitro cars, which are remote controlled cars with engines.
I draw, i shall scan some of them to show you all, hold on, i can do that now, i will post them after.
Hmmm... i cant think of any others, i know i have others, i will post them when i remember, byes ;)

CornCrazy
04-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Did you not post that you are only 14, Stuart??? Growing up a bit fast, don't you think? Man things are really different over there! My 14 year old daughter would be in SERIOUS trouble if I caught her drinking!

MegF.
04-16-2004, 07:36 PM
So would any kid of mine. I can't believe they would let a 14 yr. old into a disco and serve drinks.....are you sure he's 14?

CornCrazy
04-16-2004, 07:43 PM
He is according to this thread: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11033&perpage=10&pagenumber=5

stuart
04-17-2004, 01:00 PM
ok ok, i think i said sumthing i shouldnt have :awcrap:
I done it once, everyone my age does it, the girls and the boys, not unusual around my parts, although, running from police when your not at your best, is quite a challenge... :eek:
discos dont serve it *
i dont now, i just stay there cos my friends are.

MegF.
04-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Alright young man! You don't get grounded today, but let me remind you that there's a forum full of mom's and dad's, and in my case.....aunt's who expect a cornsnake owner to act appropriately! Keep your toe to the line.....

Aunt Meg

stuart
04-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by MegF.
Alright young man! You don't get grounded today, but let me remind you that there's a forum full of mom's and dad's, and in my case.....aunt's who expect a cornsnake owner to act appropriately! Keep your toe to the line.....

Aunt Meg

emm... you make it sound like, just because i have a corn snake, i can't enjoy my life. i'm sure my snake can survive a night with out me looking at it, holding it etc.

live
a
little

you only live once, when your gone, your gone.

MegF.
04-17-2004, 03:37 PM
No, your snake will survive, but that doesn't mean you don't have to be responsible. It sure doesn't mean that you can't have a life. I have a very busy and fun life, and I'm still responsible. You can have lots of fun completely sober as a matter of fact. I learned that many years ago. At least you don't get into some of the idiotic messes that drinking can lead to......as easily anyway :)

niki
04-17-2004, 03:39 PM
hey stuart i know this site is full of mums an dads im a mum 23 and i admit i did get drunk at 14 to but i wouldnt call it a hobbie a hobbie is something you enjoy tell me do you really like the taste of alcohol i know i never i just drunk it anyway.

stuart
04-17-2004, 03:41 PM
ok, i dont want to get into an argument with you, you have replied to my posts and are very helpful. so i dont want an enemy.
if you look at my snakes tank, you will see that i am responsible and caring, i love my snake, and will not let anything bad happen to it. i am very responsible, i did this once, and i wasnt drunk, just drinked. very low level of it.

and niki, your right, now that i think of it, it isnt really a hobbie, i done it once lol.so i guess i can take that off there. :D

niki
04-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Stuart sorry if you feel youve had bad response to your post i was a very naughty 14 year old to say the least getting drunk once hun its no crime(not a big one anyway) hope you have loads a fun with your real hobbies

stuart
04-17-2004, 03:49 PM
lol, Thanks niki. :D :) :p :cool:
I had too :P :cheers:

Lennycorn
10-29-2017, 12:30 PM
I play a little guitar. No well tho.

Rich Z
10-30-2017, 01:43 AM
I do like plinking around on my Korg workstation every now and again. And no, I'm not any good at it either, but I'm not playing for an audience. I just like to improvise and practice getting my hands to play whatever melody line happens to go through my head. Of course, I am still at the stage of experimentation, and honestly the adage "you can't teach and old dog new tricks" is more real than I would like.

If I could give some advice to the youngsters out there, learn to play a musical instrument. It will be a skill that you will come to appreciate later on in life.

Karl_Mcknight
10-30-2017, 07:47 AM
I don't regard any of my pets as "Hobbies."

I do love to go fishing, camping, shooting at the range. I suppose all of these could be considered hobbies.

I also play music, specifically Bass Guitar and Guitar, in a Blues/Rock band. Not sure if this would be considered a hobby, as I sometimes get paid for services rendered. I do have a full time job, but Play music mainly 2 weekends a month.

MysticExotics
10-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Dog Sports (I've done herding, IPO, French Ring), will be adding in tracking/nosework in January when my schedule changes.

Gotta keep my trio happy. :)

Other than that, house projects, indoor and outdoor.

bushsnake
10-31-2017, 08:05 PM
Eating and sleeping, once in awhile i get to go out herping

alinech20
11-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Programming, riding motorcycles, playing drums, guitar and creating meaningful music :)

Reggie Wriggle
01-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Have always been into cars but being in the the UK I only have two, haven't got the space to keep any more. Went through a go-karting phase a few years so. Then clay pigeon shooting. Now mainly mountain biking.

SneiSnake
01-20-2018, 03:14 AM
I have always enjoyed writing; used to write stories since I was a child. Well no, I can't say that I am a writer in fact, but I do create items specifications for online magazines. F.e I wrote description of all Greek properties for these guys https://tranio.com/greece/. It's kind of my hobby which grew to work.