PDA

View Full Version : My snake hasn't shed yet

My snake hasn't shed yet

joicey
02-18-2011, 12:32 PM
I've had my corn snake since 27th Dec 2010 and he was due to shed when I got him, which he did 8 days later (I don't know how long into his shedding period he was when I got him). I was told not to feed him when him is about to shed, but have been waiting this time for about 3 weeks. He seems to have gone clearer now (His body did go "milky"), but his eyes haven't gone milky at all this time. I'm only 12 years old and I researched loads before I got him, but didn't think this would last as long. Can anyone give me some advice please as I want to make sure Fang is happy. He has a heat mat and fresh water and a moss box, is there anything else I can do? and should I try and feed him a Fuzzy as he has not feed for 3 weeks, Thanks loads

HeavenHell
02-18-2011, 12:43 PM
In my experience, they usually shed 1 to 3 days after their eyes clear back up.
Don't try to make up for lost time by feeding him something bigger than usual. Does he usually get a Fuzzy?

Bartholomew
02-18-2011, 12:44 PM
If he went into blue (milky) his whole body (including his eyes) have also gone blue. You might have just missed it. Your snake should shed anytime now. I'd say in about 2 or 3 days.
Many people get mistaken with the shedding process. Its okay.
And from what I understand, you havent fed him in three weeks? How old is the snake?

joicey
02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes he normally has a fuzzy and we think he is about 3 months old and he is about 23 inches long. I'm just confused as this will be his first complete sheeding period since I've had him and I just want to make sure he is happy and well. He is still really lively and I just love him loads. Thanks you very much for your advice

HeavenHell
02-18-2011, 01:16 PM
I'd say he's probably more like 6 or 7 months old if he's that big

joicey
02-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Oh, we just took a guess from the information on the tub that the pet shop guy put him in. He's really lovely

ShenziSixaxis
02-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I agree that he's probably at least half a year old.

Anyway, kudos to you only being 12! Great job turning here for info; this is one of the best places for that and just general talk.

As for your original post, don't worry too much about shedding "on schedule". My corn snakes shed around the same time, my leucistic Texas rat snake sheds a bit after them, and my two ball pythons shed whenever they want, but ALWAYS at the same time as the other. It's weird.

Also, you can offer food when your snake is going into shed (i.e., going into blue). I generally offer smaller prey or only one item if I'm feeding two items, but both my corn snakes eat when they're deep in blue. So does the female ball python.
If your corn decides he doesn't want to eat in shed, fine. But there is no danger of doing so.

Jessicat
02-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Go ahead and offer your snake food as normal, unless he is in deep blue. This is the period where snakes are the most sensitive, the crankiest, and the most likely to regurge if they eat something and then something goes wrong.

Here's a picture of a snake in deep blue so you'll know what to look for. They eyes will be clouded over, and the skin dull to the naked eye. There also may be an irridescence to the skin that is not usually there.

A snake in deep blue
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo124/J3554C47/Lilac/P1014861.jpg

And for comparison, the same snake, 2 days later, with the same kind of surroundings (in her tub, with flash).
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo124/J3554C47/Lilac/P1015193.jpg

When a snake is around your snake's age, it generally takes about a month (give or take a few weeks once they get older) for them to shed. If you tried to withhold food the way you're doing it now.. you'd NEVER feed them!

Set a feeding schedual, and stick to it, unless your snake looks VERY blue, like the blue snake does above.

joicey
02-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Thank you to everyone for your advice, I stopped feeding him too early I think (he had just started to go blue). In future I will wait a week or so more before not feeding him, I was worried that it would cause his skin to split if I fed him while he was blue. I am still waiting for him to shed but in all other ways he is great, he loves to go up my sleeves and poo on my Mum hehehe. I did read loads about cornsnakes before I got him, but I'm still learning loads. Thanks again

ShenziSixaxis
02-19-2011, 02:18 PM
The skin that is about to be shed is very stretchy and won't split from an item being eaten.