PDA

View Full Version : Very new, feeding and shedding question

Very new, feeding and shedding question

BorderSnake
02-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi all!

I am BRAND NEW - we brought our first snake home yesterday. I have been reading the forums for a while in preparation, but I can't easily find an answer. Our snake is about a year and a half old.

When I picked up our snake, the previous owner and I believe breeder has said that she was about due for a feed, but had was about to shed and so we should wait until she was done. He pointed out her milky eyes and more dull colour overall than in her pictures. I trust this guy, no worries there.

Anyways, she hasn't shed yet, and her eyes are still milky (although maybe less so today? It's hard, because I hardly know her!), and I worry about how long she can go without feeding her. I mean, the stress of the move (although she is calm and friendly and really great), plus shedding, plus being hungry... OR plus a regurge if that happens because I fed her while blue...

So, opinions? Is there a definitive answer? Should I wait a couple more days and see if she sheds? Should I wait a couple more days to make sure she's settled regardless, to make it a good feed? How long until she sheds? Should I feed her? Will she starve?

Thanks all! We love that little girl like crazy, even though she's only just arrived! Oh, she's called Glory, and I believe she is a normal colouring, despite some pretensions of Miami.

gelshark
02-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Snakes can go quite awhile before starving. You might want to give her about a week of settling in before you handle her regularly and start feeding her, just to make for a very smooth transition.

BorderSnake
02-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Thank you.

Besides aggression, what would be signs that she is stressed, or that the transition isn't going smoothly?

Nanci
02-19-2011, 09:54 PM
I would wait a week to feed her. If she still hasn't shed, then I would wait until after she shed. Since she is blue, she will probably settle in to her hide and just not move at all, until she sheds. You might want to mist her viv, lightly, every couple days, and cover the lid loosely with plastic wrap. Just lay a same-size piece over the top. This will help her have a perfect shed.

Naagas
02-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Pretty much, leaving her alone for a week is the best way to minimize stress.
Because of this, there won't be any signs.

Make sure she has humidity and water.
Chances are that she will settle in smoothly.

I bet you won't see her much for a while if she is in shed. This is normal.