PDA

View Full Version : Our snake has stopped eating...very worried!

Our snake has stopped eating...very worried!

B_ELLIS
02-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Our corn snake has been on the Munson plan since day one. We have had snake since it was one month old. It is now one year and seven months old this month. It now weights 494 gms. Live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Up until this Christmas the snake ate regularly only missing a couple of feedings due to a shed. Mid December the snake stopped striking the mouse and wrapping itself around it prior to feeding. Since that time she has missed a lot of feedings. As of the beginning of February she has stopped feeding altogether. Offered her food on the 5th, 15th and 20th. Just ignores the mouse. Leave her with it for one hour before removing her from her feeding bin and returning her to her tank. The house is 68F during the day and 65F at night. The large cave in the tank is 88F. The tank is 55 gallons and the UTH has a footprint of a little more than 1/3 of the bottom. There are two water dishes in the tank that are changed daily. How long can a snake safely go without eating. Is this a normal thing for an adult sizes snake to do during the winter?

Dorgrim
02-21-2011, 01:30 AM
i know my male snakes stop like clock work once it starts to get warmer outside, but they were much older when they started their cycles. Have you tried leaving the food overnight in the cage? (assume it is f/t) I had a snake refuse a mouse until it sat there for about 48 hours : /

Some snakes will also take a break in the winter from eating, taking cues from the light levels and they might just quit for a while. At a year old though and at a good weight I would think (he she?) would be fine for quite some time, dont get too worried! :) I know i never get used to my male snakes stopping

Keep us updated!

Naagas
02-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Two of my males refused food this last feeding.

It can happen in the spring.

Check your temps, watch for lethargic behavior or rapid weight loss.
A healthy snake can go months without feeding, though.