PDA

View Full Version : Finally figured out what's wrong with Dream

Finally figured out what's wrong with Dream

Airidies
02-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Dream can't eat anything with fur or bones... Any time we feed her a Fuzzy she throws it up. She's two years old now and only weighs 49gs :( I followed the regurgitate protocol every time and as soon as we made it back up to the smallest fuzzy i had she got sick again. so now we are sticking with peach fuzzies and that seems to be going very well. I'm hoping to change her over to rat pinkies since we are breeding rats now so that she can start gaining like she should. I hope that later on in life she can eat a furred mouse/rat baby but we'll just have to see.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or had heard of it before?

Dreamsnake
02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I have an anery with this problem. She is recovering from her 4th regurge right now.

Airidies
02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
It's so sad =( She was my first snake (my boyfriend got 3 and i got one lol but i have more now!) and i haven't even really got to hold her since we got her in September. I'm hoping here very soon i'll be able to hold her more now that we've got this figured out and as soon as she can handle it she'll get rat pinks. *crosses fingers* that she'll eat them. I'd rather her eat rats than eat 3 or four mouse pinks ><

psychoprimate84
02-25-2011, 09:21 PM
I have a hypo lav het blood that was like that up until a few months ago. She will be 2 this year. For the past few months, she has been feeding on rat pinks and starting to gain weight fast. Benebac helped a whole lot too.

bitsy
02-26-2011, 05:04 AM
I think someone on the board (apologies can't remember who) has an adult Corn that has never eaten anything but pinkies. Don't worry - it does happen and they can still lead good lives. I suspect it just gets a little expensive when they start eating in multiples. Rat pinks sound like a good move.

A supplement might help. I'd try to find one with calcium and vitamin D, to make sure the calcium from mouse/rat bone content is replaced.

Airidies
02-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks Bitsy, i didn't think of that. I give my adult females calcium every once in a while so i'll give some to Dream too.

Psyco- *i'm getting ready to look it up* Where's the best place to get Benebac from?

I'm glad to hear rat pinks have worked for others, i'm really hoping she'll take them. My rat just had our first litter a couple of hours ago so i'll be Freezing a couple tomorrow for when she reaches that size. She so long and skinny right now :( So far it's been as soon as she starts gaining weight she throws up and we start all over again.

Airidies
02-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Dreamsnake, I'm sorry your having the same problem. It's driving me crazy and i wish i could help her even more but i think not giving her any more furred rodents is going to be the best option. I have no idea if it's bones or fur so i may try hairless mice when she gets older just to see...I saw someone selling them at the lawrenceville show last month, ugly little things ><

psychoprimate84
02-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Well, you can get something similar called Nutribac from Kathy Loves online store. Just go to http://www.cornutopia.com/ , click on "Gifts, Tools, Products" and it will take you to the page that has the Nutribac listed. It will get your snakes gut flora in check so it will be able to digest properly. Just think of it as when people eat yogurt to help regulate our digestion.

ShenziSixaxis
02-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Definitely try getting some Nutribac and looking around to see if anyone sells hairless rats or mice. Rats also seem easier to digest for my colubrids, and Apotos actually had a bad fuzzy once and then couldn't keep mice down, but she can keep rats down.

Airidies
02-27-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm waiting till we can build a little shed for mice before i buy any more. We had a trio 1.2 that we bred for a short time but they were in the living room and smelled so bad and since we had to wait for babies to change the cage... yeah we got the babies and co2'd the parents... but back to the point, i'll be trying to get some hairless mice after that. I know someone breeds them in GA or SC.

Hopefully she will take a rat pinky, i'll be trying it in a few weeks.

Airidies
03-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm so happy! Dream is finally gaining weight again and she's in shed for the first time since Christmas!

Now when the next rattie has some babies I'll be taking some on day 1 for her to eat.