PDA

View Full Version : How long without eating?

How long without eating?

B_ELLIS
03-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Our snake stopped eating a month ago. Have offered it a mouse every 10 days since. Last night left the F/T mouse overnight in its cage. Still ignored it. Don't know the snake's sex. Hatched July 2009 now weighs 494 grams. Still very active and looks normal. Have read that males go off food in the spring. This might be what is going on. If this is the case, how long can it go with out eating and still stay healthy?

toxiclight
03-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Our male went nearly a month without eating, with no adverse effects.

Just a thought...did you try braining the mouse? Sometimes the blood scent will excite them to eat.

B_ELLIS
03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Tried that, actually tried several techniques mentioned here. Need to know how long I can safely let the snake go without eating before I have to go to a vet for help. Would this be 6 weeks, two months... Help!

Sarah1228
03-03-2011, 11:50 AM
I've read in several threads that keepers said their snake didn't eat for at least 3 months. I hope someone with more experience can answer you, I'm sure its nerve wrecking! Just stay positive if your snake is still active & keeping a steady weight. Good luck!!!

Nanci
03-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I've even had a female go on feeding strike for six months and not lose any weight at all. You have _months_ before you need to worry, as long as it is a natural feeding strike, and not a disease. Which is unlikely. I would offer a smaller mouse, such as a hopper or even a large fuzzy, once every two or three weeks until he decides to resume eating. Corns will often break a feeding strike for a delicious treat like a rat pink, but before you do that, consider if you want your snake to switch to rats. This has only happened to me with one adult, but it's happened to me with several juveniles. I've converted a couple back, but a few persist in eating rats. I don't care- but if they aren't readily available, it's something you might want to consider. In fact, the above-mentioned female is a rat-only feeder, now. Every once in a while I can get her to take a peach fuzzy mouse, but nothing bigger than that.

B_ELLIS
03-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks Nanci, went out last night and bought some frozen hoppers. Will try feeding the snake one in a couple of weeks.

When is gets warmer outside I will take the corn to a local reptile zoo and have it sexed. The tail "looks" female but I think this behaviour is more male...

kaypar2011
03-17-2011, 03:23 PM
I have a 2010 (hatched in July) male Anery. I got him on 2/5/11. He was eating like a pig until this week. He shed on the 8th and ate a F/T fuzzy on the 9th. This week he refused the fuzzy. Nothing has changed since last week. He weighs about 37 grams. Do males this young go on a feeding strike in the spring? Is this normal or should I worry. He appears healthy, drinks water and is active at night. He stays in the hide or buried in the aspen bedding all day.